Magnet force on an object separated by small space

In summary: Eq:1} \nabla2 A = μ0 Jmag\end{equation} where Jmag is the effective magnetization current describing the magnet. The magnetic field is B = \nabla\times A.
mmartelli
I'm trying to approximate forces on a system.

One of my Forces is a 6x8x1" Ceramic Grade 8 magnet on an ferromagnetic object, but they are separated by a small space (about 3/16").

I know the Pull of the magnet, but is there a way to calculate the pull of the magnet relative to the distance away it is from the object?

Physics news on Phys.org
The actual magnetic field and hence force is typically complex and depends on the magnets shapes, magnetization, orientation, and the ferromagnet's shape, permeability, history, location, and orientation. To a good approximation though, most single permanent magnets create dipole fields, and dipole fields die off as 1/r3. So if the maximum force you measure when there is no separation is F0, then the force F as a function separation r would be F = F0/r3 to a crude approximation.

Shouldn’t that be F=Fo x d^3/r^3 ? where d is the length from one pole to the middle of the magnet and r is also to be taken from the middle of the magnet. (ofcourse also to a crude approximation).

Actually, it would be more like F = F0/(r+d)3 if r is the distance from the pole's surface, and d is the distance from the pole's surface to the center of the magnet. Sorry for error

If you have a little experience with programming, vectors, and numerical methods, it's actually not that hard to write a little code that solves for the three-dimensional static magnetic field due to any shaped magnet. Just solve each component of [itex]\nabla[/itex]2 A = μ0 Jmag using the relaxation method with sources. Here Jmag is the effective magnetization current describing the magnet. Then the magnetic field is B = [itex]\nabla\times[/itex] A.

chrisbaird, the problem I’m referring to is that you stated that Fo is a force, which is fine, but then it follows that Fo/r^3 cannot possibly be a force as well. It would give a very strange answer. Therefore I suggested that F can be worked out by Fo times the ratio d^3 and r^3. This way at least the answer is in Newton and you still have an 1/r^3 dependency. This way if both distances are taken from the centre then when r=d, F=Fo, which is correct.
I haven’t tried that formula and I wish I had more time to find out. It would be nice if mmartelli could tell us.

Per Oni said:
chrisbaird, the problem I’m referring to is that you stated that Fo is a force, which is fine, but then it follows that Fo/r^3 cannot possibly be a force as well. It would give a very strange answer. Therefore I suggested that F can be worked out by Fo times the ratio d^3 and r^3. This way at least the answer is in Newton and you still have an 1/r^3 dependency. This way if both distances are taken from the centre then when r=d, F=Fo, which is correct.
I haven’t tried that formula and I wish I had more time to find out. It would be nice if mmartelli could tell us.

You are right, in my effort to simplify things for the OP, I keep making the equation unphysical. I should stop digging this hole. :blushing:

Here is the full form for a magnetic dipole:

1. What is magnet force?

Magnet force is a fundamental force of nature that is responsible for the attraction or repulsion between objects with magnetic properties.

2. How does magnet force work?

Magnet force works by exerting a force on other magnetic objects in its vicinity. This force is created by the alignment of magnetic fields between the two objects, with opposite poles attracting each other and like poles repelling each other.

3. How does the distance between two objects affect the magnet force?

The magnet force between two objects decreases with an increase in distance between them. This is because the magnetic field weakens as it spreads out, resulting in a weaker force between the two objects.

4. What is the unit of measurement for magnet force?

The unit of measurement for magnet force is the Newton (N). This is the same unit used to measure other forces, such as weight and gravity.

5. How can the magnet force between two objects be increased?

The magnet force between two objects can be increased by either increasing the strength of the magnetic field or decreasing the distance between the two objects. This can be achieved by using stronger magnets or bringing the objects closer together.