Derivation of Eikonal equations from Fermat's Principle

In summary: I think that's a pretty accurate way of looking at it. In summary, Holm's derivation of the Eikonal equations from Fermat's principle uses the variation of: -the infinitesimal arc length -the square root of the parameter that varies along the curve
Matterwave
Science Advisor
Gold Member
So, I'm reading Holm's Geometric Mechanics Part I, and in it he wants to derive the Eikonal equations from Fermat's principle.

There's one part of the derivation that I don't understand. He gives the "Optical path" as:

[tex]A=\int_a^b n(\vec{r}(s))ds[/tex]

Where ds is the infinitessimal arc length.

And then proceeds to take the variation of:

[tex]\delta \int_a^b n(\vec{r}(s))\sqrt{\frac{d\vec{r}}{ds}\cdot\frac{d\vec{r}}{ds}}ds[/tex]

What's the deal with adding the square root term in there? It seems that it's legitimate to add this term since it's actually 1, but it appears that without adding this term, you don't get the Eikonal equations back by taking that variation to be 0, so what rational is there that "mandates" the adding of this term?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the issue is that you need to express the integral in a form where the dependence on the path length is made explicit because you need to perform variations in which the length of the path varies also. While ds is path length in the first equation, in the second equation it's just any parameter that varies along the curve, and in fact he should have called it something else.

Hmmm, so, would it be fair to restate Fermat's principle as:

[tex]0=\delta \int_C n(\vec{r}) d\vec{r}[/tex]

And then parameterize the curve (arbitrarily) to obtain:

[tex]0=\delta \int_a^b n(\vec{r}(s))|\vec{r}'(s)|ds[/tex]And then of course from the last expression, if we take s to be the arc-length so that [itex]|\vec{r}'(s)|=1[/itex], then we can recover the original form of the principle. Is this a valid method?

From this view, then, we are performing variations on the parameterization of the curves as well then?

1. What is Fermat's Principle?

Fermat's Principle is a fundamental principle in optics that states that light will travel between two points along the path that takes the least time. This principle is also known as the principle of least time.

2. What is the Eikonal equation?

The Eikonal equation is a partial differential equation that describes the propagation of light in a medium. It is derived from Fermat's Principle and is used to calculate the path of light through a medium.

3. How is the Eikonal equation derived from Fermat's Principle?

The Eikonal equation is derived by using the principle of least time to minimize the time taken by light to travel between two points. This involves taking the derivative of the optical path length and setting it equal to zero.

4. What are the applications of the Eikonal equation?

The Eikonal equation has various applications in optics, including ray tracing, wavefront propagation, and image formation. It is also used in other fields such as geophysics, where it is used to study the propagation of seismic waves.

5. Are there any limitations to the Eikonal equation?

Yes, the Eikonal equation has certain limitations. It assumes that light travels in a straight line and does not take into account effects such as diffraction and scattering. It is also limited to describing the propagation of light in homogeneous media and cannot be used for media with varying refractive indices.