How far will a box slide with a given push and coefficient of kinetic friction?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the distance a box will go when given an initial push on a floor with a coefficient of kinetic friction of .20 and an initial speed of 4.0m/s. The acceleration due to kinetic friction is used to find the time it takes for the box to reach its final velocity, which is then plugged into a kinematic equation to find the distance traveled. The concept of F=ma is also briefly mentioned, but ultimately not necessary in this problem.
psycovic23
"A box is given a push so that it slides across the floor. How far will it go, given that the coefficient of kinetic friction is .20 and the push imparts an initial speed of 4.0m/s?"

I'm really stuck as to how to figure out the acceleration...

Physics news on Phys.org
psycovic23 said:
"A box is given a push so that it slides across the floor. How far will it go, given that the coefficient of kinetic friction is .20 and the push imparts an initial speed of 4.0m/s?"

I'm really stuck as to how to figure out the acceleration...

The acceleration is easy to find.It's the acceleration due to kinetic friction.Use the definiton for the kinetic friction force and find the acceleration.
UUse the 2 formulas:
[tex] v(t)=v_{0} +at [/tex]
[tex] x(t)=x_{0}+v_{0}t+\frac{at^{2}}{2} [/tex]
Chose [itex] x_{0}=0 [/itex].

Daniel.

I'm still kind of stuck..how are you suppose to incorporate acceleration through those equations into f=ma?

Alright, here's what I have so far.

[tex]x = v_0 ((v-v_0)/a) + a*((v-v_0)/a)^2[/tex]

How do I get the friction into that? And how do I make that equation look neater with the [tex] tag?

Last edited:
psycovic23 said:
I'm still kind of stuck..how are you suppose to incorporate acceleration through those equations into f=ma?

It's actually the other way around.U use F=ma to find the acceleration and then plug the acceleration in the first (kinetic) equation and find time.Plug time,acceleration and initial velocity in the second (kinematic) equation to find the distance on which the body moves and solve your problem.

Daniel.

PS.The F=ma is to be applied for the kinetic fricton force,bu first u have to know its definiton.I assume u do.

But if you don't know the initial push, how can you set up F=ma?

What I thought was:

[tex]F_p - u_k mg = ma [/tex]

psycovic23 said:
But if you don't know the initial push, how can you set up F=ma?

What I thought was:

[tex]F_p - u_k mg = ma [/tex]

No,no,no,the word 'push' just stands for an explanation to why your body has initial velocity.In your equation it shouldn't stand and therefore the force shoud be equaled to 0.
Puttin' 0 in your equation above,it gives you the acceleration due to friction which is uded to determine the length.

Daniel.

PS.It should have been given the time in which that initial velocity is acquired.Only then u could have been able to compute the "push".

Ah, I understand now! Thank you very much! The whole F_p thing was really throwing me off.

1. What causes friction in a box?

Friction in a box is caused by the contact between the surfaces of the box and the surface it is being moved on. This creates resistance and makes it difficult for the box to move smoothly.

2. How can I reduce friction in a box?

To reduce friction in a box, you can use lubricants such as oil or grease on the surfaces that come into contact. Another option is to use wheels or rollers under the box to decrease the surface area in contact with the ground.

3. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction in a box?

Static friction occurs when the box is at rest and trying to be moved, while kinetic friction occurs when the box is already in motion. The force required to overcome static friction is greater than that of kinetic friction.

4. How does the weight of the box affect friction?

The weight of the box does not directly affect friction. However, a heavier box may have more contact with the surface it is being moved on, increasing the friction. Additionally, the weight of the box can also affect the force needed to overcome static friction.

5. Can friction in a box be completely eliminated?

No, friction in a box cannot be completely eliminated. It is a natural force that occurs whenever two surfaces come into contact with each other. However, it can be reduced through various methods such as lubrication and using smoother surfaces.