Finding the B field in a long cylindrical hole in a long wire

In summary, the conversation discusses the method for finding the B field inside an infinitely long cylindrical hole in a wire with a uniform current density. The speaker describes their approach using polar coordinates and integrating over a volume to find the vector potential A, but it is later pointed out that this is unnecessary and Ampere's law can be used instead.
VortexLattice
So, I'm trying this problem and just want to make sure my attack is correct. We have an infinitely long cylindrical hole in an infinitely long cylindrical wire, like in this picture:

11bca21b-9df4-47b5-8ce5-d451a1e43490.png

(Here, they call the radius of the hole 'a'. I'm going to call it r.)

There's an electric current I in the wire and the current density is uniform. I want to find the B field anywhere in the cavity. First, I find J, the current density:

[itex]J = \frac{I}{\pi (R^2 - r^2)}[/itex]

So, the step I'm most worried about is this: I want to find the vector potential A in the hole, but it's pretty hard to integrate around a hole. So I'm going to find the vector potential due to the whole cylinder (as if there were no hole), and then the vector potential due to a current of the same density going through the hole, and then subtract the latter from the former (because it's just a superposition, like electric potential, right?).

I'm doing this in polar coordinates, where the z axis goes along the center of the wire. So, typically you have to integrate over a volume to get A, but we don't actually care about the z direction here, so we just integrate it from 0 to z, and it should cancel out at the end:

[itex]\vec{A}(\vec{x}) = Jz \int_0^R r'dr' \int_0^{2\pi} d\phi' \frac{1}{\left|\vec{x} - \vec{x'}\right|}[/itex]

So, I say that our observation point [itex]\vec{x}[/itex] is (x,0,z), and the point [itex]\vec{x'}[/itex] we're integrating at is (x',y',z). Then, in polar coordinates, we have [itex]\vec{x'} = (r'cos(\phi'),r'sin(\phi'),z)[/itex]. Plugging this in, I get:

[itex]\vec{A}(\vec{x}) = Jz \int_0^R r'dr' \int_0^{2\pi} d\phi' \frac{1}{\sqrt{(x - r'cos(\phi'))^2 + (r'sin(\phi'))^2}} = Jz \int_0^R r'dr' \int_0^{2\pi} d\phi' \frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2 -2xr'cos(\phi') + r'^2}}[/itex]

Now, I integrate. I actually first integrate over r'. I do a kind of completing the square thing in the denominator, and then integrate:

[itex]\vec{A}(\vec{x}) = Jz \int_0^R r'dr' \int_0^{2\pi} d\phi' \frac{1}{\sqrt{(r' - cos(\phi'))^2 + x^2sin^2(\phi')}}[/itex]

I integrated this in wolfram, and it simplifies a little. But now I have to integrate over phi, and it gives me an elliptic integral of the first kind. Academia has ruined me so I get afraid when an answer doesn't boil down to three terms or less, so I'm just wondering if this seems right or not.

Also, is my general idea a good one or is there a much easier way?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
So, it has been pointed out to me that I am functionally retarded: You use the premise I'm using (subtracting the current due to a cylinder in place of the hole), but you don't do the whole silliness with the vector potential. Because you're calculating them separately, you can just use Ampere's law. Yayyy, I'm stupid.

1. How do you calculate the magnetic field inside a long cylindrical hole in a long wire?

The magnetic field inside a long cylindrical hole in a long wire can be calculated using the formula B = (μ0*I)/2πr, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current flowing in the wire, and r is the distance from the center of the hole to the point where the magnetic field is being measured.

2. What is the direction of the magnetic field inside a long cylindrical hole in a long wire?

The direction of the magnetic field inside a long cylindrical hole in a long wire is perpendicular to the wire and follows the right-hand rule. This means that if you point your thumb in the direction of the current flow, the direction of your fingers will indicate the direction of the magnetic field.

3. How does the magnetic field inside a long cylindrical hole in a long wire change with distance from the wire?

The magnetic field inside a long cylindrical hole in a long wire follows an inverse relationship with distance. This means that as the distance from the wire increases, the magnetic field decreases.

4. Can the magnetic field inside a long cylindrical hole in a long wire be affected by external factors?

Yes, the magnetic field inside a long cylindrical hole in a long wire can be affected by external factors such as the presence of other nearby wires or magnetic materials. These factors can alter the direction and strength of the magnetic field.

5. How is the magnetic field inside a long cylindrical hole in a long wire related to the current flowing in the wire?

The magnetic field inside a long cylindrical hole in a long wire is directly proportional to the current flowing in the wire. This means that an increase in current will result in an increase in the strength of the magnetic field, while a decrease in current will result in a decrease in the strength of the magnetic field.