Coronal Mass Ejection = Buzzing Coaxial Outlet?

In summary, a person noticed a faint buzzing sound coming from an unused coaxial cable outlet in their apartment. They questioned if it could be related to a recent coronal mass ejection (CME) but concluded it was unlikely. The person has a background in electrical engineering and checked the outlet but did not find any issues. They are wondering if anyone has ideas on what could be causing the noise and if it could be related to the CME. Another person responded that it is unlikely the CME caused the issue and suggested looking for a different explanation.
mrb427
Hello all. Let me start with my main question and then provide a bit more background.

I just noticed that an unused coaxial cable outlet in my apartment is periodically producing a faint but very noticeable buzzing sound. It seems to come and go, flickering on and off sometimes and sometimes lasting for as much as a minute. Is it possible that this has anything to do with the large coronal mass ejection which took place very recently?

My initial thoughts on that question went something like this: "no way... well, maybe..."

I have a BS in electrical engineering and work in the field of advanced batteries, so I know what electrical arcing sounds like. It doesn't sound like arcing to me, but I can't imagine what else could be producing a sound from inside that junction box. I also took the face plate off of the outlet and glanced inside. It was tough to see, but there is a three way coax splitter in there. I could not see any loose, frayed, or burnt wires. Unfortunately I don't have my multimeter with me so I can't check the voltage on the wires.

I was under the impression that any signals on coaxial cables would be of relatively low voltage, maybe a few volts at most. I wouldn't expect this to produce arcing or such a noticeable buzzing.

To bring it back to my main questions:

1. Any ideas on what might be causing this noise?

2. Is it possible that the recent CME had anything to do with this? I believe it is a new problem as of today. I know that CMEs can cause surges of currents in wiring on Earth so is it possible that a CME could damage something in my coax cable or splitter which would cause this buzzing?

Thanks for any replies!

Physics news on Phys.org
well the CME hasnt quite reached here yet, so no not likely

you need to look for a more earthly explanation :)

Dave

1. What is a coronal mass ejection (CME)?

A coronal mass ejection is a large release of plasma and magnetic fields from the sun's corona, which is the outermost layer of the sun's atmosphere. These eruptions can travel through space and can have impacts on the Earth's magnetic field and technology systems.

2. How are CMEs related to buzzing coaxial outlets?

CMEs can cause disruptions in the Earth's magnetic field, which can induce electric currents in technology systems such as power grids and communication networks. These electric currents can cause buzzing sounds in coaxial outlets, which are used for cable and internet connections.

3. Are CMEs dangerous to humans?

CMEs do not pose a direct threat to humans, as the Earth's atmosphere protects us from the harmful effects of these solar eruptions. However, they can disrupt technology systems and may cause power outages and disruptions in communication networks, which can have indirect impacts on human activities.

4. Can we predict when a CME will occur?

Scientists monitor the sun's activity to predict when a CME may occur. However, these eruptions can be unpredictable and may not always have a direct impact on the Earth. Advanced warning systems are in place to alert us of potential impacts from CMEs.

5. How can we protect technology systems from CMEs?

To protect technology systems from the impacts of CMEs, engineers and scientists work to develop stronger and more resilient infrastructure. Additionally, advanced warning systems and protocols are in place to mitigate the effects of CMEs on these systems.