Railroad diesel engine homework

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving conservation of momentum. The problem involves a railroad diesel engine and a freightcar, with the unknown variable being the speed at which they coast after coupling together. The formula used is m1v1+m2v2=m3v3, with m3 representing the total mass after coupling. The final answer is 4km/h. Another question is asked regarding conservation of momentum, and the conversation ends with a thank you.
Imparcticle
A railroad diesel engine weighs four times as much as a freightcar. If the diesel engine coasts at 5km/h into a freightcar that is initially at rest, how fast do the two coast after they couple together?

Given:
m1= 4m2
m2
v1=5km/h
v2=0

unknown : v3

formula:
m1v1+ m2v2=m3v3 (i.e., Total momentum before=total momentum after)

work:

m1v1+ m2v2=m3v3 --> (4 x m2)(5km/h) + (m2)(0)=m3v3
(20km/h)m2=m3v3
answer --> 20km/h=v3

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
sorry to say that it is incorrect. m3 is the total mass after they have coupled together so m3= 4m2 + m2 = 5m2. cancelling m2 at both sides of the equations you finally get v3 = 4 km/h.

This really must be wrong:

6.) A comic-strip hero Superhuman meets an asteroid in outer space, and hurls it at 800m/s, as fast as a bullet. The asteroid is a thousand times more massive than Superman. In the strip, Superman is seen at rest after the throw. Taking physics into account, what would be his recoil velocity?

Given unknown formula
M1=1000 M2 v3 m1v1+m2v2=m3v3 --> [( m1v1+m2v2)/m3]=v3
V3=800m/s M2
M3 = (1000M2 + M2) v2
V1= 800m/s

Work: [( m1v1+m2v2)/m3]=v3= {[(1000M2)(800m/s)]+[(M2)(v2)]/[(1000M2 +M2)]}=
{[(M2)(800000 kg * m/s) + [(M2)(v2)]/[(1001 M2]}=
{[(800000 kg * m/s) + [(M2)(v2)]/ 1001}=
799 kg * m/s + [(M2 kg * v2)/1001)]
? I don't get this.

m3 is the total mass after they have coupled together so m3= 4m2 + m2 = 5m2.

how do i know that its the mass after they have coupled together?

Imparcticle said:
This really must be wrong:

6.) A comic-strip hero Superhuman meets an asteroid in outer space, and hurls it at 800m/s, as fast as a bullet. The asteroid is a thousand times more massive than Superman. In the strip, Superman is seen at rest after the throw. Taking physics into account, what would be his recoil velocity?

Given unknown formula
M1=1000 M2 v3 m1v1+m2v2=m3v3 --> [( m1v1+m2v2)/m3]=v3
V3=800m/s M2
M3 = (1000M2 + M2) v2
V1= 800m/s

Work: [( m1v1+m2v2)/m3]=v3= {[(1000M2)(800m/s)]+[(M2)(v2)]/[(1000M2 +M2)]}=
{[(M2)(800000 kg * m/s) + [(M2)(v2)]/[(1001 M2]}=
{[(800000 kg * m/s) + [(M2)(v2)]/ 1001}=
799 kg * m/s + [(M2 kg * v2)/1001)]
? I don't get this.

You're approaching this question in a wrong way. You are making it more difficult than it really is.

Conservation of momemtum. The system had not momentum at the beginning, which means m1v1+m2v2 = 0.

I really suggest you read your textbook more.

Imparcticle said:
how do i know that its the mass after they have coupled together?

As far as this question goes, why do you need to know the mass?

Imparcticle said:
Given:
m1= 4m2
m2
v1=5km/h
v2=0
m3=m1+m2
=4m2+m2
=5m2

apchemstudent: why? Because of this: m1v1+ m2v2=m3v3

If you're wondering why I asked the question, I was wondering how the quoted person knew "m3 is the total mass after they have coupled together " and not something else.

You're approaching this question in a wrong way. You are making it more difficult than it really is.

Conservation of momemtum. The system had not momentum at the beginning, which means m1v1+m2v2 = 0.

I really suggest you read your textbook more.
I did read,but the book isn't good.

never mind on the question. I missed the last part of the question. I've fixed it. thanks anyway.

Last edited:
Leong said:
m3=m1+m2
=4m2+m2
=5m2

thank you very much for your help. :rofl:

1. What is a railroad diesel engine?

A railroad diesel engine is a type of internal combustion engine that is used to power locomotives on railroads. It uses diesel fuel to power the engine and generate movement.

2. How does a railroad diesel engine work?

A railroad diesel engine works by using the energy from diesel fuel to create a controlled explosion in the engine's cylinders. This explosion pushes pistons, which turn a crankshaft and ultimately power the locomotive's wheels.

3. What are the advantages of using a railroad diesel engine?

There are several advantages to using a railroad diesel engine. They are more fuel-efficient than steam engines, have a longer lifespan, and require less maintenance. They also have a higher power-to-weight ratio, which allows them to pull heavier loads.

4. What are the environmental impacts of railroad diesel engines?

Railroad diesel engines emit pollutants such as nitrogen oxides, particulate matter, and carbon dioxide. These emissions contribute to air pollution and can have negative impacts on human health and the environment. However, newer diesel engines have been designed to reduce these emissions.

5. How are railroad diesel engines maintained?

Railroad diesel engines require regular maintenance to ensure they continue to function properly. This includes regular oil changes, filter replacements, and inspection of mechanical parts. These maintenance tasks are typically performed by trained technicians and can also include repairs as needed.