Y1 = xe^(rx) and y2 = e^(rx): how y1 was discovered?

• Thread starter gnardog777
  • Start date
In summary, mathematicians found out that for second order homogenous ODEs with constant coefficients, when the auxiliary equation, b^2 - 4ac = 0, xe^(rx) is another general solution by using the technique of reducing the order of a differential equation. This technique involves using a known solution and substituting it into the equation to find other independent solutions. In this case, if r is a double root of the characteristic equation, the equation can be simplified to v''= 0. Integrating twice, we get the general solution of C_1xe^(rx)+ C_2e^(rx). This result can also be derived from the general complex series approach and the Jordan canonical form, which are more
gnardog777
hey, can someone explain to me how mathematicians found out that for second order homogenous ODEs with constant coefficents, when for the auxiliary equation, b^2 - 4ac = 0, xe^(rx) is another general solution?

I've seen it proven, but I don't understand why

**EDIT:*** I just realized I may have phrased this in an awkward/weird way. In other words, how did they find out that it works? I mean, I know when you plug it into the regular equation, it works, but there must be something more to it (at least that's what I imagine, I could very well be wrong though).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The derivation comes from using the technique for reducing the order of a differential equation if you know one solution.

I'm sure you know that if you know one solution, say [itex]x_0[/itex], to a polynomial equation, then dividing by [itex]x- x_0[/itex] gives an equation of degree one less to solve for the other roots. Similarly, if [itex]y_0(x)[/itex] is a solution to a linear differential equation, then letting [itex]y(x)= y_0(x)v(x)[/itex] gives a linear differential equation of order one less to solve for other, independent, solutions.

In this case, if r is a double root of the characteristic equation then the characteristic equation must have the form [itex](x- r)^2= x^2- 2rx+ r^2= 0[/itex] and that means that at least part of the equation must be of the form [itex]y''- 2ry'+ r^2y= 0[/itex]. If we let [itex]y(x)= v(x)e^{rx}[/itex] then [itex]y'= v'e^{rx}+ rve^{rx}[/itex] and [itex]y''= v''e^{rx}+ 2rv'e^{rx}+ ve^{rx}[/itex]. Putting that into the equation, [itex]y''- 2ry'+ r^2y= v''e^{rx}+ 2rv'e^{rx}+ ve^{rx}- 2rv'e^{rx}- 2r^2ve^{rx}+ r^2ve^{rx}[/itex][itex]= v''e^{rx}= 0[/itex].

The terms involving only v (and not v' and v'') cancel because, not differentiating v, we are treating it like a constant and, of course, since [itex]e^{rx}[/itex] satisfies the equation, so does any constant times [itex]e^{rx}[/itex]. And all terms involving v' cancel because r is a double root. So we have [itex]v''e^{rx}= 0[/itex] and, since [itex]e^{rx}[/itex] is never 0, we can divide by it to get [itex]v''= 0[/itex]. Integrating that once, [itex]v'= C_1[/itex], a constant, and, integrating again, [itex]v(x)= C_1x+ C_2[/itex]. That is [itex]y(x)= v(x)e^{rx}= C_1xe^{rx}+ C_2e^{rx}[/itex].

Of course, the "[itex]C_2e^{rx}[/itex]" we already had but now we have discovered that [itex]C_1xe^{rx}[/itex] is also a solution.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some other leads, it might come from the very general complex series approach, or it might come from the jordan canonical form, a generalization of diagonalizing matrices. The result from jordan canonical form will be used more generally if your text treats higher order linear ODEs, and systems of ODEs. So your solution you are looking at is the special case in several different and more general methods.

1. How did the equation y1 = xe^(rx) come about?

The equation y1 = xe^(rx) was first derived by the mathematician Leonard Euler in the 18th century. He was studying the properties of exponential functions and found that when the exponent was a linear function of x, the resulting function would be a linear combination of the original function and its derivative. This led to the discovery of the equation y1 = xe^(rx).

2. What is the significance of y1 = xe^(rx) in mathematics?

The equation y1 = xe^(rx) is significant because it is a fundamental solution to many differential equations. It is also used to solve systems of linear differential equations, making it an important tool in mathematical modeling and engineering.

3. How does y1 = xe^(rx) relate to y2 = e^(rx)?

The equation y1 = xe^(rx) is a particular solution to the more general equation y2 = e^(rx). In other words, y1 is a special case of y2 where x is included in the exponent. This relationship is important in solving certain types of differential equations.

4. What real-life applications does y1 = xe^(rx) have?

The equation y1 = xe^(rx) has many real-life applications, including in physics, chemistry, and engineering. It is commonly used to model growth and decay processes, as well as in circuit analysis and signal processing.

5. Are there any limitations or assumptions associated with y1 = xe^(rx)?

Like any mathematical equation, there are limitations and assumptions associated with y1 = xe^(rx). One limitation is that it can only be used for linear functions of x in the exponent. Additionally, it assumes that the function is differentiable and continuous, which may not always be the case in real-life applications.