Solving Velocity Selector: E Field Direction for Proton & Electron

• Thread starter josephcollins
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the direction of the E-field in a velocity selector is determined by the direction of the B-field and will always be perpendicular to it. The polarity of the plates will depend on the direction of the B-field and whether it is for protons or electrons.
josephcollins
Hi ppl,
I'm having a little trouble determining the direction of the E field in a velocity selector question. I can easily find the direction of the magnetic B field and the direction it forces a particle in. Once I do this, I know that the E field must oppose the force of the B field. The problem I have is determining the direction of the E field for a proton or an electron ( what the difference is) and also how to assign the polarity of the plates of the E field again for a proton and an electron.

Any help would be welcome, thanks, joe

Physics news on Phys.org
In a velocity selector, the electric field (E-field) will always be perpendicular to the magnetic field (B-field). This means that for protons, the E-field will be directed towards the positive plate and away from the negative plate, while for electrons it will be in the opposite direction. The polarity of the plates will depend on the direction of the B-field. If the B-field is directed towards the positive plate then the E-field will also be directed towards the positive plate. Conversely, if the B-field is directed towards the negative plate then the E-field will also be directed towards the negative plate.

Hi Joe,

The direction of the electric field in a velocity selector is dependent on the charge of the particle being selected. For a proton, which has a positive charge, the electric field must be directed towards the negative plate of the selector. This is because the electric force on a positive charge is in the direction of the electric field. Similarly, for an electron, which has a negative charge, the electric field must be directed towards the positive plate of the selector.

To determine the polarity of the plates, you can use the right-hand rule. Point your thumb in the direction of the magnetic field, and your fingers will curl in the direction of the electric field. For a proton, the fingers will point towards the negative plate, and for an electron, the fingers will point towards the positive plate.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is a velocity selector and how does it work?

A velocity selector is a device used in particle accelerators to select particles based on their velocity. It works by using a combination of electric and magnetic fields to create a region where only particles with a specific velocity can pass through.

2. What is the importance of finding the electric field direction for protons and electrons in a velocity selector?

The electric field direction plays a crucial role in determining the velocity of particles that can pass through the velocity selector. It is essential to have the correct electric field direction for both protons and electrons to ensure that only particles with the desired velocity are selected.

3. How is the electric field direction determined in a velocity selector?

The electric field direction can be determined by analyzing the motion of particles passing through the velocity selector. By varying the electric field direction and observing the trajectory of particles, the correct direction can be determined where only particles with the desired velocity are selected.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of the electric field direction in a velocity selector?

The accuracy of the electric field direction can be affected by various factors such as the strength of the magnetic field, the distance between the electric and magnetic fields, and the precision of the equipment used. Any changes in these factors can affect the velocity of particles passing through the velocity selector and therefore, the accuracy of the electric field direction.

5. What are the potential applications of a velocity selector?

Velocity selectors are commonly used in particle accelerators, mass spectrometers, and other scientific instruments to select particles based on their velocity. They are also used in research and development of new materials, pharmaceuticals, and other scientific advancements that involve the manipulation of particles at high velocities.