2 Electric Charge Particles w/ acceleration?

In summary, the conversation discusses two equally charged particles held 3.0 x 10^-3 meters apart and released from rest. The initial acceleration of the first particle is 7.0 m/s^2 and the second is 10.0 m/s^2. Using Coulomb's Law and Newton's Second Law, the mass of the first particle is found to be 6.3 x 10^-7 kg. The conversation then discusses finding the mass of the second particle and the magnitude of the charge for each particle. The approach of using F=ma and F_net=ma is discussed and it is concluded that the second particle's mass can be found by plugging in the acceleration of the second particle into F
CinderBlockFist
Hi all, I am having trouble on where to start w/ this problem:

Two equally charged particles, held 3.0 10-3 m apart, are released from rest. The initial acceleration of the first particle is observed to be 7.0 m/s2 and that of the second to be 10.0 m/s2. The mass of the first particle is 6.3 10-7 kg.
(a) What is the mass of the second particle?
_____kg
(b) What is the magnitude of the charge of each particle?
_____C

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint:
Use Newton's second and third laws, if you don't know them look them up in your book.
come back if you get stuck

-MS

Thanks math student. Ok this is what i got so far, I'm not sure if I am approaching it correctly.

I used F=ma for the first particle.

F = (6.3 x 10 ^-7)(7.0 m/s^2)

I got F = 4.41 x 10^-6 N

So, using Coulomb's Law I set this F

F = k (q^2/(3.0 x 10 ^ -3)^2) since both charges are the same.

I get q = 6.643 x 10 ^ -11

Is this the correct approach? I am not sure if I can use F_net = ma for the first particle because I am not sure if that is the net force on the whole system.

am I supposed to add the accelerations of particles 1 and 2, when i use F_net = ma?

looks good so far,
since they didn't give you any other info, you can assume that what they gave you makes up the whole system. The only other forces that could be acting in this scenario is gravity, but this is usually negligible so can be ignored.

Now all you need is the mass of the second particle, any ideas?

Cool, I just plugged in F=ma using the acc. of particle 2. Thanks MS! for the quick response!

CinderBlockFist said:
am I supposed to add the accelerations of particles 1 and 2, when i use F_net = ma?
No... Newton's second law is used for analyizing the motion of one body.

but that doesn't get you the right answer

1. What are electric charge particles?

Electric charge particles are subatomic particles that possess an electric charge, either positive or negative. Examples of these particles include protons and electrons.

2. What is acceleration in relation to electric charge particles?

Acceleration is the rate at which the speed of an electric charge particle changes. This can occur due to the presence of an electric field, which can either accelerate or decelerate the particle.

3. How do electric charge particles interact with each other?

Electric charge particles interact with each other through the electromagnetic force. Like charges repel each other, while opposite charges attract each other.

4. What is the role of electric charge particles in electricity?

Electric charge particles are the fundamental building blocks of electricity. When these particles are in motion, they create an electric current, which is the flow of electric charge. This is what powers electrical devices and systems.

5. How do electric charge particles behave in a magnetic field?

When electric charge particles move through a magnetic field, they experience a force known as the Lorentz force. This force is perpendicular to both the direction of motion and the magnetic field, causing the particles to move in a circular path.