Finding Intervals of Concave Downward with f(x) = 12x^(2/3)

• Thread starter ashleyk
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the intervals on which the function f(x) = 12x^(2/3) is concaved downward. The person was having trouble getting the correct second derivative and requested for help. After some corrections were made to the original function, the conversation ended with a request for further assistance in finding the second derivative.
ashleyk
Help, Concaved downward??

Let f(x) = 12x^(2/3) Find all the intervals on which f(x) is concaved downward.

I know I have to take the second derivative to find the inflection point to find the interval. I figured the first derivative to be (8-4x^(1/3)/x^(1/3)

I can't seem to get the second derivative to work out. Please Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this your function:[tex] f(x)=12x^{\frac{2}{3}} [/tex] ??

If so,then your first derivative is incorrect.

Daniel.

The first derivative of [tex] f(x) = 12x^{\frac{2}{3}}[/tex]

is [tex](\frac{2}{3})12x^\frac{-1}{3}[/tex]

which simplified gives you

[tex] 8x^\frac{-1}{3}[/tex]

------------------------------
Sorry for messing up the Latex thing... I'm still new to it

Last edited by a moderator:
Jameson said:
The first derivative of [tex] f(x) = 12x^{\frac{2}{3}}[/tex]

Would you care to correct your latex graphics in your post...?

Daniel.

sorry the orginial function is wrong...it is actually f(x)= 12x^(2/3)-4x
I still got the derivative of (8-4x^(1/3)/x^(1/3) but I am still having trouble getting through the second derivative...any help would be great...

Okay,why didn't you leave it in the original handy form...?
[tex]f'(x)=8x^{-\frac{1}{3}}-4 [/tex]

Now differentiate once more...

Daniel.

1. What does "concaved downward" mean?

"Concaved downward" refers to the shape of a surface or function that curves inward or downward, resembling the inside of a bowl or spoon.

2. How is a concave downward function different from a convex function?

A concave downward function has a negative curvature, meaning that the rate of change decreases as the function increases. In contrast, a convex function has a positive curvature and the rate of change increases as the function increases.

3. What causes a surface or function to be concave downward?

A concave downward surface or function can be caused by a variety of factors, including gravity, tension, or pressure. In mathematics, it can also be a result of the second derivative being negative.

4. How can I identify a concave downward function from its graph?

A concave downward function will have a downward-curving shape on its graph. It will also have a negative second derivative, meaning that the slope of the curve is decreasing.

5. What are some real-life examples of concave downward surfaces or functions?

Some real-life examples of concave downward surfaces include the inside of a bowl, the surface of a spoon, or a raindrop on a window. In mathematics, parabolas and exponential decay functions can also be concave downward.