Proving limit of multivariable function exists

In summary: So the limit is 0.In summary, the conversation discusses evaluating or showing that the limit of the function (x^1/3)*y^2 / x+y^3 as (x,y) approaches (0,0) does not exist. The person attempting the problem has tried approaching from multiple paths and has shown that the limit is equal to 0 when approaching from the path x = y^3. However, when approaching from the path y = x, the limit is equal to 0. It is concluded that the limit does not exist because the values from both paths are different. Another similar question is discussed and it is concluded that the limit is equal to 0 as the numerator only depends on x, regardless of the
Anakin_k

Homework Statement

Evaluate or show that the limit DNE.

Limit as (x,y) -> (0,0) of (x^1/3)*y^2 / x+y^3.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried approaching from multiple paths, and it seems that the limit is equal to 0. I used the delta-epsilon method to prove the limit but I've been stuck so far.

Any ideas on how to begin?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Approaching from the limit x = y^3, we get

lim = y^3/ 2(y^3)
(x,y) -> (0,0)
= 1/2

Since the value of the limit from the path x = y^3 is not equal to 0 (the value that you have been getting), then the limit does not exist

leej72 said:
Approaching from the limit x = y^3, we get

lim = y^3/ 2(y^3)
(x,y) -> (0,0)
= 1/2

Since the value of the limit from the path x = y^3 is not equal to 0 (the value that you have been getting), then the limit does not exist

When I said approaching from the limit x = y^3, I meant from the path.

Hi,

If we are approaching from the path x = y^3, then

lim (x,y) -> (0,0) of (x^1/3)*y^2 / x+y^3

= lim (x,y) -> (0,0) of (y)*y^2 / y^3+y^3 =

= lim(x,y) -> (0,0) of y^3 / 2y^3. = 1/2

That seems to make sense.

However, if we use the path y=x:
= lim (x,y) -> (0,0) of x^(7/3) / (x+x^3)
= 0

And then WolframAlpha says 0 too. Why is that?
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=limit+%28x%2Cy%29+-%3E+%280%2C0%29+of+%28x^1%2F3%29*y^2+%2F+%28x%2By^3%29

Last edited:
Anakin_k said:
Hi,

If we are approaching from the path x = y^3, then

= lim (x,y) -> (0,0) of (y)*y^2 / y^3+y^3 =

= lim(x,y) -> (0,0) of y^3 / 2y^3. = 1/2

That seems to make sense.

But then why does WolframAlpha say otherwise?
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=limit+%28x%2Cy%29+-%3E+%280%2C0%29+of+%28x^1%2F3%29*y^2+%2F+%28x%2By^3%29

It's not always clear why WA reaches the conclusions it does. What do you conclude about WA?

Dick said:
It's not always clear why WA reaches the conclusions it does. What do you conclude about WA?

I updated my post above, to show that I did try some other paths too.

So if both limits are different, then it would mean that the limit does not exist.

I guess that WA isn't perfect after all. :)

Anakin_k said:
I updated my post above, to show that I did try some other paths too.

So if both limits are different, then it would mean that the limit does not exist.

I guess that WA isn't perfect after all. :)

I agree. Not the first mistake I've seen it make either.

Well thanks for clarifying that up you guys.

I have one more similar question with which I need some help. I've gotten a bit further with this one but not enough:

I concluded that the limit equals 0 by trying a few paths (hopefully this time it was right):

[itex]\lim_{\{x,y\}\to \{1,0\}} \, \frac{(x-1)^2 \ln (x)}{(x-1)^2+y^2}[/itex]If [itex]0<\left\|(x-1)^2+y^2\right\|<\delta[/itex],

then [itex]\left|g(x,y) - 0\right|<\epsilon[/itex]
[itex]\left|g(x,y)\right| = \left|\frac{(x-1)^2 \ln (x)}{(x-1)^2+y^2}\right|= \left|\frac{(x-1)^2}{(x-1)^2+y^2}\right|\left|\ln[x]\right| \leq \left|\frac{(x-1)^2}{(x-1)^2}\right| \left|\ln[x]\right| = \left| \ln[x] \right|[/itex]

What would be a good choice for [itex]\delta[/itex] so that [itex]\ln[x] < \epsilon[/itex]? Plus, it seems like the way that I've worked it out so far makes the IF statement unhelpful to the process.

You might conclude it but just trying "a few" paths does not prove you will always get 0 along any path. However, in this case the numerator depends only on x so it is easy to see that the fraction approaches 0 as x goes to 1, no matter what y is.

1. What is a multivariable function?

A multivariable function is a mathematical function that takes multiple input variables and produces an output. For example, a function that calculates the volume of a box would take in the length, width, and height as input variables.

2. How do you prove the limit of a multivariable function exists?

To prove the limit of a multivariable function exists, we need to show that the function approaches the same value regardless of the path taken towards a specific point. This is known as the epsilon-delta definition of a limit.

3. What does it mean for a limit of a multivariable function to exist?

If the limit of a multivariable function exists, it means that the function approaches a specific value as the input variables get closer to a certain point. In other words, the function is continuous at that point.

4. Can a multivariable function have multiple limits?

No, a multivariable function can only have one limit at a given point. If the limit does not exist, it means that the function is discontinuous at that point.

5. What is the importance of proving the limit of a multivariable function exists?

Proving the limit of a multivariable function exists is important because it allows us to determine the continuity of the function at a specific point. This is crucial in many areas of mathematics and science, including calculus and physics, as it helps us understand the behavior of functions and make predictions based on their limits.