Find where one graph is bigger than the other

• Thread starter Pi Face
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary, the problem is to find the value of p that creates a bridging point between the two functions, tanh(ap) and 2a/(1+a^2), with 1 intersection and 2 intersections. The goal is to have tanh(ap) greater than 2a(1+a^2) for every point on the interval (0,1). However, the issue arises when trying to set the two functions equal to each other at a=1 because tanh(ap) never reaches 1. A possible solution is to use limits to find the value of p that satisfies the conditions for an interval (0,z] in the limit z->1.
Pi Face

Homework Statement

My question is part of a bigger one that I'm using in a graphical proof. I have two functions, tanh(ap) and 2a/(1+a^2). The a is the input and p is a constant. I'm trying to find the value for p which is the bridging point between the two functions having 1 intersection and 2 intersections. To do this, I said that we want to find the value for p which makes tanh(ap) greater than 2a(1+a^2) for every point on the interval (0,1) (because the second function's max is at 1, so the two intersections will be on the sides of a=1)

So I have tanhap>2a/(1+a^2)>0, but I'm not sure how to go about solving it. I can't set them equal to each other at a=1 because tanha never reaches 1 so I get an undefined answer. Is there something I can do with limits?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do I understand that your problem is to find $$p: \tanh(px) > \frac{2x}{1+x^2}: x\in (0,1)$$... what's wrong with putting LHS=RHS and finding the intersection in terms of p as a starting point?

You can gain an understanding of what p does by plotting tanh(px), and 2x(1+x^2), on the same axis, in the interval, for several values of p using a math-script program like matlab, mathematica, or gnu/octave.

But I think I see your problem ... if you had a hard interval like (0,1] then your requirements cannot be met since at x=1, RHS>LHS ... and this is unambiguous. However, you only need LHS>RHS for x values arbitrarily close to 1.

Interestingly, the RHS has a turning point at x=1 ... the slope of the RHS is a maximum at the origin, so any value of p that makes the slope of the LHS the same at the origin will make the LHS > RHS for much of the interval. But I suspect that you can only make the other two intersection points arbitrarily close together as p -> infinity. I suppose a limit formulation would be to find p that satisfies the conditions for an interval (0,z] in the limit z -> 1. Trouble is, p(x) is assymtotic at x=1.

Last edited:

1. What do you mean by "one graph is bigger than the other"?

When we say that one graph is bigger than the other, we are referring to the overall values or magnitude represented by each graph. This comparison can be made by looking at the highest point on each graph or by calculating the average values.

2. How can I determine which graph is bigger?

To determine which graph is bigger, you can visually compare the overall shape and size of the graphs. You can also calculate the average values for each graph and compare them. Additionally, you can look at the highest point on each graph to see which one is larger.

3. Are there any specific tools or techniques to use for finding which graph is bigger?

Yes, there are several tools and techniques that can be used to compare graphs and determine which one is bigger. These include visual comparisons, calculations, and statistical tests such as t-tests or ANOVA.

4. Can I compare two different types of graphs to see which one is bigger?

Yes, you can compare two different types of graphs to see which one is bigger. However, it is important to keep in mind that different types of graphs may represent data differently, so the comparison may not be direct or straightforward.

5. How can I use the information about which graph is bigger in my research or analysis?

The comparison of which graph is bigger can provide valuable insights in your research or analysis. It can help you identify patterns or trends in your data, make predictions, or support your conclusions. Additionally, it can also guide further research or inform decision-making processes.