Special Case of the Baire Category Theorem

• Thread starter sammycaps
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary: LaTeX more difficult than it needs to be. If you want to type \overline{V_i}, then you can do this by[itеx]\overline{V_i}[/itex]This seems a lot easier than using the ... tags.
sammycaps
1. So the solutions claim a different and better proof of this, but I just wanted to see if mine made sense.

Question - Let X be a compact Hausdorff space; let {An} be a countable collection of closed sets of X. Show that if each set An has empty interior in X, then the union [itex]\bigcup[/itex]An has empty interior in X.

Homework Equations

If X is compact Hausdorff with no isolated points, for any nonempty open set U of X and any point x of X, there exists a nonempty open set V contained in U such that x[itex]\notin[/itex][itex]\overline{V}[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

Now that I've seen the solution it seems obvious, but here is what I did.

If we let Int([itex]\bigcup[/itex]An)=U and take a point xi of Ai, then there exists an open set Vi [itex]\subset[/itex] Int([itex]\bigcup[/itex]An) s.t. x[itex]\notin[/itex][itex]\overline{V}[/itex]i. We can form this construction because we can choose a point in Int([itex]\bigcup[/itex]An) different from x, because if not, then we would either have an empty interior (in the case where x[itex]\notin[/itex] Int([itex]\bigcup[/itex]An) ) or we would have a one-point open set (in the case where x[itex]\in[/itex] Int([itex]\bigcup[/itex]An) , which would mean that Ai for some i has non-empty interior. Then by the Hausdorff property, there is a W1 and W2 about x and y respectively, that are disjoint. Then W2[itex]\bigcap[/itex]Int([itex]\bigcup[/itex]An) is an open set contained in Int([itex]\bigcup[/itex]An), not containing x. It follow that the closure of this set, which I'll call V, does not contain x.

Then we can choose [itex]\overline{V}[/itex]1 [itex]\supset[/itex] [itex]\overline{V}[/itex]2 [itex]\supset[/itex] ...

And since X is compact, there exists an x in this infinite intersection. Then, since U is the union of {An}, x must be contained in Ai for some i. But then [itex]\overline{V}[/itex]i [itex]\cap[/itex] Ai is a closed set containing x but not xi. Then the complement of [itex]\overline{V}[/itex]i [itex]\cap[/itex] Ai in Ai is open and non empty in Ai, implying that Ai has non-empty interior, a contradiction.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
sammycaps said:
1. So the solutions claim a different and better proof of this, but I just wanted to see if mine made sense.

Question - Let X be a compact Hausdorff space; let {An} be a countable collection of closed sets of X. Show that if each set An has empty interior in X, then the union [itex]\bigcup[/itex]An has empty interior in X.

Homework Equations

If X is compact Hausdorff with no isolated points, for any nonempty open set U of X and any point x of X, there exists a nonempty open set V contained in U such that x[itex]\notin[/itex][itex]\overline{V}[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

Now that I've seen the solution it seems obvious, but here is what I did.

If we let Int([itex]\bigcup[/itex]An)=U and take a point xi of Ai, then there exists an open set Vi [itex]\subset[/itex] Int([itex]\bigcup[/itex]An) s.t. x[itex]\notin[/itex][itex]\overline{V}[/itex]i. We can form this construction because we can choose a point in Int([itex]\bigcup[/itex]An) different from x, because if not, then we would either have an empty interior (in the case where x[itex]\notin[/itex] Int([itex]\bigcup[/itex]An) ) or we would have a one-point open set (in the case where x[itex]\in[/itex] Int([itex]\bigcup[/itex]An) , which would mean that Ai for some i has non-empty interior. Then by the Hausdorff property, there is a W1 and W2 about x and y respectively, that are disjoint. Then W2[itex]\bigcap[/itex]Int([itex]\bigcup[/itex]An) is an open set contained in Int([itex]\bigcup[/itex]An), not containing x. It follow that the closure of this set, which I'll call V, does not contain x.

Then we can choose [itex]\overline{V}[/itex]1 [itex]\supset[/itex] [itex]\overline{V}[/itex]2 [itex]\supset[/itex] ...

And since X is compact, there exists an x in this infinite intersection. Then, since U is the union of {An}, x must be contained in Ai for some i. But then [itex]\overline{V}[/itex]i [itex]\cap[/itex] Ai is a closed set containing x but not xi. Then the complement of [itex]\overline{V}[/itex]i [itex]\cap[/itex] Ai in Ai is open and non empty in Ai, implying that Ai has non-empty interior, a contradiction.

It doesn't really seem obvious to me that the x that you constructed actually lies in U. Sure, every [itex]V_i[/itex] lies in U. But you're taking the intersections of the [itex]\overline{V_i}[/itex]. Do those necessarily lie in U?

also, you seem to make LaTeX more difficult than it needs to be. If you want to type [itex]\overline{V_i}[/itex], then you can do this by

Code:
[itеx]\overline{V_i}[/itex]

This seems a lot easier than using the [NOPARSE]...[/NOPARSE] tags.

Here is a LaTeX FAQ: https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3977517&postcount=3

Last edited:
micromass said:
It doesn't really seem obvious to me that the x that you constructed actually lies in U. Sure, every [itex]V_i[/itex] lies in U. But you're taking the intersections of the [itex]\overline{V_i}[/itex]. Do those necessarily lie in U?

O, I did not see that. Its not obvious to me that x lies in U, and I don't know whether or not its true. Thanks for pointing that out.

Maybe I don't actually need x to be in U, only for x to be in [itex]\bigcup[/itex]{An}. Still though, its not clear to me that is true.

Anyway, maybe this proof just doesn't work.

sammycaps said:
O, I did not see that. Its not obvious to me that x lies in U, and I don't know whether or not its true. Thanks for pointing that out.

Maybe I don't actually need x to be in U, only for x to be in [itex]\bigcup[/itex]{An}. Still though, its not clear to me that is true.

Anyway, maybe this proof just doesn't work.

I'm thinking that you might be able to fix it by taking an open set [itex]U^\prime[/itex] such that [itex]\overline{U^\prime}\subseteq U[/itex] that is nonempty. Then you might take care that all the [itex]V_i\subseteq U^\prime[/itex]. That would for the intersection of the [itex]\overline{V_i}[/itex] to be in U.

I didn't really work it out, but you can try some trickery like this.

1. What is the Baire Category Theorem and why is it important?

The Baire Category Theorem is a fundamental result in topology that states that in a complete metric space, a countable union of nowhere dense sets is also nowhere dense. This theorem is important because it allows us to prove the existence of certain types of sets that are essential in many areas of mathematics, including analysis and geometry.

2. What is a special case of the Baire Category Theorem?

A special case of the Baire Category Theorem is when the complete metric space is also a Banach space, which is a complete normed vector space. In this case, the theorem can be applied to prove the existence of a non-empty open set in the space.

3. How is the special case of the Baire Category Theorem used in functional analysis?

In functional analysis, the special case of the Baire Category Theorem is used to prove the existence of an open set in a Banach space that contains a dense set. This result is important in studying the properties of linear operators and their inverses.

4. Can the special case of the Baire Category Theorem be applied to infinite-dimensional spaces?

Yes, the special case of the Baire Category Theorem can be applied to infinite-dimensional spaces, as long as they are complete metric spaces that also satisfy the conditions of a Banach space. This includes spaces such as Hilbert spaces and Banach algebras.

5. Are there any practical applications of the special case of the Baire Category Theorem?

The special case of the Baire Category Theorem has many practical applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used to prove the existence of solutions to certain differential equations, to analyze the convergence of numerical methods, and to understand the behavior of dynamical systems. It also has applications in optimization, control theory, and signal processing.