Why Does Changing the Splitting Mesh in MCNP5 Affect Histories and File Outputs?

In summary, The issue was resolved as it was caused by conflicting libraries (openmpi and mpich2). The user was able to generate a weight window after reducing the number of splitting, however, they encountered a warning about particles escaping the wwg mesh. They are new to MCNP but determined to learn.
gurps409
HIya, I am not actually sure why this is happening so was wondering if anyone can help.

im running in photon mode and I am trying to generate a weight window. initially i think my splitting mesh was over done a little bit (ok too much say about 15 fine intervals in a 10cm region) and i wouldn't go past one history. just billions of collisions were occurring. I reduced the number of splitting and now I am getting histories but why did this happen? my geometry is fine but is very complicated.

now that I am getting histories, and scoring in some of the regions i want but I am not getting a wwgout file. i do, however, get a warning saying some of my particles have escaped the wwg mesh.

thanks in advanced. i am relatively new to mcnp but I am on a mission to learn this!

Engineering news on Phys.org
The problem is Solved.
It was because of the conflict of libraries (openmpi and mpich2).

1. What is MCNP5 and why is it important in scientific research?

MCNP5 is a computer code used for simulating and analyzing nuclear systems. It is an important tool in scientific research as it allows scientists to model and understand complex nuclear processes and systems, such as nuclear reactors and radiation shielding.

2. How are MCNP5 issues typically solved?

MCNP5 issues are typically solved by identifying and understanding the underlying cause of the problem and then implementing a solution. This may involve troubleshooting, adjusting input parameters, or making changes to the code itself.

3. What are some common MCNP5 issues and their possible causes?

Common MCNP5 issues include convergence errors, incorrect output results, and program crashes. These issues can be caused by input errors, improper use of the code, or bugs in the code itself.

4. Can MCNP5 issues be solved without understanding the underlying cause?

Yes, it is possible to solve MCNP5 issues without fully understanding the underlying cause. However, this may not be the most efficient or effective approach as it may lead to recurring issues in the future.

5. How can I prevent future MCNP5 issues from occurring?

To prevent future MCNP5 issues, it is important to thoroughly understand the code and its capabilities, carefully review and double-check input parameters, and regularly update to the latest version of the code to address any known bugs or issues.