Time Invariance of a basic system?

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the time invariance of a discrete time system that maps x[n] to y[n] = x[-n]. The attempt at a solution involves manipulating the equations x_d[n] and y_d[n] to show that they are equal to y[n-n_0], but the book states that the system is not time invariant. The conversation then delves into a more qualitative definition of time invariance and raises the question of whether the system is time variant due to the behavior being different for positive and negative values of n. Another similar problem is mentioned where the system y[n] = Even{x[n-1]} is also deemed not time invariant.
ElijahRockers
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I am supposed to determine wether or not the discrete time system

[itex] x[n] \rightarrow y[n] = x[-n] [/itex]

is time invariant or not.

The Attempt at a Solution

Let [itex] x_d[n] = x[n-n_0][/itex]

[itex]y_d[n] = x_d[-n] = x[-(n-n_0)] = x[-n+n_0][/itex]

[itex]y[n-n_0] = x[-(n-n_0)] = x[-n+n_0][/itex]

Since [itex]y_d[n] = y[n-n_0][/itex], shouldn't this prove time invariance?

The book says the answer is that it is not time invariant...

From the more qualitative definition, a time invariant system is one for which the behavior does not change depending on when it is evaluated...
Now, I see that for -ve values of n, the system looks ahead, and for +ve values of n the system looks behind. Would this be considered time variant because of this? If so, how do I go about showing that mathematically?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have just run into a similar problem, where y[n] = Even{x[n-1]}.

When I try shifting the input, then shifting the output and comparing them, the expressions are equal, but the book is telling me the system is not time invariant.

What is time invariance of a basic system?

Time invariance of a basic system is a property of a system where the output remains unchanged even when the input is delayed or advanced in time.

What is the importance of time invariance in a basic system?

Time invariance is important because it allows us to analyze and predict the behavior of a system over time. It also simplifies the analysis of complex systems by breaking it down into smaller, time-invariant components.

How do you determine if a system is time invariant?

A system is considered time invariant if the output remains unchanged when the input is shifted in time. This can be determined by comparing the output of the original input to the output of a delayed or advanced input.

What are some examples of time invariant systems?

Examples of time invariant systems include linear systems, such as an RC circuit, where the output voltage remains unchanged even if the input voltage is shifted in time. Other examples include mechanical systems, like a pendulum, and biological systems, such as the human body.

What are the implications of violating time invariance in a basic system?

If a system is not time invariant, it can lead to unpredictable behavior and make it difficult to analyze and control the system. It can also result in errors in calculations and predictions, which can have serious consequences in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and medicine.