How can I convert Newtons to Henrys?

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenge of comparing the force of a space shuttle liftoff to the force of a liftoff using a magnetic field created by coils. The question arises of how to convert the space shuttle's force into Henrys in order to determine the appropriate amount of power needed. There is no direct conversion between Newtons and Henrys, but resources on magnetism and electromagnetism are suggested to help understand the concept. Ultimately, the approach of calculating the power of the space shuttle engines and assuming a similar power requirement for a magnet solution is proposed.
TheGod

Homework Statement

I'm in high school and I haven't taken physics yet, but I'm doing a science project where I'm comparing a space shuttle liftoff to a liftoff using a magnetic field created by coils. I found the force that the space shuttle uses at liftoff and now I have to scale it down. When I scale it down, how can I convert it to Henrys so I can use the right amount of power. Am I thinking in the right direction?

I'm sorry if this is a newbie question, its just I don't have much guidance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
What he said. You can't convert between the two.

However you can calculate the force that a magnet/electromagnet would apply to a piece of metal. You might need to do this when designing a relay - for example when trying to work out the strength of the return spring.

This might also help..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnet#Force_exerted_by_magnetic_field

If you haven't taken any physics yet the links we post above are likely to be too difficult.

One approach might be to find out the power of the space shuttle engines and then assume that roughly the same sort of power would be required using a magnet solution.

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2001/StaverieBoundouris.shtml

However in practice there would be a bunch of issues. Not least how to get a magnet solution to work over very long distances.

If you use a rail gun approach the problem is the acceleration needed to reach the required velocity in the short length of the gun.

To convert Newtons to Henrys, you will need to understand the relationship between force and magnetic fields. In physics, the unit for force is Newtons (N) and the unit for magnetic field strength is Tesla (T). The unit for magnetic flux is Weber (Wb) and the unit for inductance is Henry (H).

To convert from Newtons to Henrys, you will need to use the equation F = B x I x L, where F is the force, B is the magnetic field strength, I is the current and L is the length of the conductor. Rearranging this equation, we get B = F / (I x L).

Therefore, to convert from Newtons to Henrys, you will need to divide the force (in Newtons) by the product of the current (in amperes) and the length of the conductor (in meters). This will give you the magnetic field strength in Tesla (T).

To calculate the required power, you will need to use the equation P = I x V, where P is power, I is current and V is voltage. You will need to determine the voltage required for your magnetic field coils and then use this equation to calculate the current needed to achieve the desired force.

I hope this helps and good luck with your science project! It's great that you are exploring these concepts and thinking about how they can be applied in real-world situations. If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask for guidance from your teacher or a physics tutor.

1. What is the formula for converting Newtons to Henrys?

The formula for converting Newtons (N) to Henrys (H) is: H = N / (A * s), where A is the cross-sectional area and s is the length of the conductor.

2. Can I use a simple conversion factor to convert Newtons to Henrys?

No, you cannot use a simple conversion factor to convert Newtons to Henrys as they are not directly related. The conversion requires the use of the formula: H = N / (A * s).

3. How do I determine the values for A and s in the conversion formula?

The values for A and s in the conversion formula (H = N / (A * s)) can be determined by measuring the cross-sectional area and length of the conductor in the given system or by looking up the values in a reference table.

4. What are some common units for Newtons and Henrys?

Newtons and Henrys can be measured in various units, but some common units for Newtons include kilogram-meters per second squared (kg*m/s^2) and pound-force (lbf), while common units for Henrys include webers per ampere (Wb/A) and volt-seconds per ampere (V*s/A).

5. Are there any online calculators or tools available for converting Newtons to Henrys?

Yes, there are several online calculators and tools available for converting Newtons to Henrys. These tools use the conversion formula (H = N / (A * s)) to provide accurate results and are easily accessible through a simple internet search.