Hot gas expansion rate into outer space

In summary, Jay Hill argues that the expansion rate of the gases exiting the rocket nozzle is irrelevant, and that the thrust they provide is equivalent to the initial velocity.
Jay Hill
Good Morning Sirs,
it seems to be surprisingly hard to get the numbers of a mystery:

How fast expand hot rocket exhaust gases into empty space?
Of course aside from its exit velocity!
Does the expansion interfere with the impulse direction?
I.e. is the impulse omnidirectional effective within the engine nozzle exit angle of assumed 90deg.
(or even beyond that)?
Can't hardly wait!
Jay

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure I really understand you question fully, but the expansion rate of the gasses once they have left the exhaust nozzle is irrelevant to the thrust that they provide for the rocket so it might be an interesting fact to know for some reason but it is does not matter for any practical purpose.

It IS irrelevant - unless you anticipate certain things underneath your engine nozzle.
Now it's going to disable a certain moon landing skepticism around some friends of mine.
The argument here: The gases hit the moon ground (at 10ft hight) in less then 2ms
(at 15,000ft/s)- allegedly quick enough to outgun the immediate expansion of the stream
(with a force of at least 1,500kp). It would have inevitably left a distinctive impact
on the flour light dust underneath the firing descend engine cone - easily to see on the scores of images.
IMHO the expansion rate actually EXCEEDS the stream velocity and distributes the gas-pressure
evenly everywhere - with a resulting low exposure of the dust surface below.
I'd be grateful for a proof.

First you ask about something happening in outer space, now you are talking about the surface of the moon.

What is it you really want to know?

Note that moon landing hoax theories are a banned topic on PF. If this goes in that direction, this thread will quickly close or disappear.

Dear Sirs,
as hopeless American by heart and mind I'm utterly surprised to find here - out of all places -
a institutional THOUGHT CONTROL.
The dedicative discussion about some ridiculous "sci"-fi" movies
surely is more easy to do compared with the real and most strange phenomena
men kind encountered in the outer space - which includes to me
the Earth moon because of its nature.
Admittedly its more funny to be with BASICALLY open minded people.
Therefore: By by and God bless you!
Jay Hill
PS Why do I have to think on Bob Dylan?
I hear him sing: The Disease Of Conceit...

1. What is "hot gas expansion rate into outer space"?

"Hot gas expansion rate into outer space" refers to the speed at which hot gas particles expand and move away from a source into the vacuum of outer space.

2. How does the temperature of the gas affect its expansion rate into outer space?

The higher the temperature of the gas, the faster it will expand into outer space. This is because higher temperatures mean that the gas particles have more energy, allowing them to move and expand at a faster rate.

3. What factors can influence the expansion rate of hot gas into outer space?

The expansion rate of hot gas into outer space can be influenced by factors such as the temperature and pressure of the gas, the size of the opening it is expanding through, and the presence of any external forces or obstacles.

4. Why is the expansion of hot gas into outer space significant in space research?

The expansion of hot gas into outer space is significant in space research because it can help scientists understand the behavior of gases in a vacuum, which is important for studying the atmospheres of other planets and stars. It can also provide insight into how energy is transferred and dissipated in space.

5. Is the expansion of hot gas into outer space a continuous process?

No, the expansion of hot gas into outer space is not a continuous process. It occurs only when there is a difference in pressure between the source of the gas and outer space, and will eventually reach a state of equilibrium where the expansion stops.