What is the percentage of ASA in one tablet?

• Thread starter pbonnie
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the number of moles and mass of ASA in one tablet, as well as determine the percentage of the original mass of the tablet that was actually ASA. This is based on an experiment previously in the lesson and uses the equations c=n/v and n=m/M. The mol ratio is 1:1 and the calculation shows a 64.8% purity for the original tablet.
pbonnie

Homework Statement

Calculate the number of moles and the mass of ASA in one tablet. Determine the percentage of the original mass of the tablet that was actually ASA.

(this question was based off an experiment previously in the lesson)

Homework Equations

c = n/v
n = m/M

The Attempt at a Solution

Given:
[itex] HC_9H_7O_4 + NaOH --> C_9H-7O-4 + H_2O [/itex]
I'm using the subscript b to represent the base, and subscript a to represent the acid.
[itex] c_b = 0.100 mol/L [/itex]
[itex] V_b = 18.0 mL = 0.018 L [/itex]
[itex] n_b = c_bV_b = 0.100mol/L x 0.018L = 1.8x10^{-3} mol [/itex]

The mol ratio is 1:1, so the number of moles of the acid is also [itex] 1.8x10^{-3} [/itex]
[itex] n =m/M [/itex]
[itex] M_a = 180.17 g/mol [/itex]
[itex] m = (1.8x10^{-3})(180.17 g/mol) [/itex]
[itex] = 0.324 g [/itex]
[itex] % purity = 0.324g/0.500g x 100% = 64.8% [/itex]
(The original tablet was 0.500 g)

I was hoping someone could let me know if I'm doing this correctly.
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
* % purity = 0.324g/0.500g = 64.8%

Looks OK to me.

1. What is ASA and why is it important in tablets?

ASA stands for acetylsalicylic acid, which is the active ingredient in aspirin. It is important in tablets because it is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) that is commonly used to relieve pain, reduce fever, and decrease inflammation.

2. How is the percentage of ASA in a tablet determined?

The percentage of ASA in a tablet is determined through a process called titration. This involves adding a known amount of a substance (known as a titrant) to a solution containing the ASA tablet until the reaction is complete. The amount of titrant used can then be used to calculate the percentage of ASA in the tablet.

3. What is the typical percentage of ASA found in tablets?

The typical percentage of ASA found in tablets varies depending on the brand and dosage. For example, a regular strength aspirin tablet usually contains 325 mg of ASA, which is equivalent to 81% of the tablet's weight. However, other medications such as combination pain relievers may have a lower percentage of ASA.

4. Can the percentage of ASA in a tablet affect its effectiveness?

Yes, the percentage of ASA in a tablet can affect its effectiveness. Higher percentages of ASA may provide stronger and longer-lasting pain relief, while lower percentages may be better for those who are sensitive to NSAIDs or have certain medical conditions.

5. Are there any potential side effects associated with the percentage of ASA in a tablet?

Yes, there are potential side effects associated with the percentage of ASA in a tablet. These can include stomach irritation, increased risk of bleeding, and allergic reactions. It is important to follow the recommended dosage and consult with a doctor if you experience any adverse effects.