Kinematics Textbook help

In summary, the conversation discusses a student's use of a Quantum Physics student textbook for their physics class. They are specifically asking for help with understanding the topic of Kinematics and are unsure of which pages to read. The conversation also reveals that the book in question is actually about classical mechanics and optics, not quantum physics as the title suggests. The conversation ends with a suggestion to use alternate reading material, such as a college-level physics textbook, for a better understanding of the topic.
Herc Hansen
I'm using a Quantum Physics student textbook for physics at school. My class started with Kinematics and I want to know what pages I should read to better understand the topic.

Attachments

• $T2eC16ZHJHEFFl+5pRSHBSGnt,n7ZQ~~60_1.JPG
    $T2eC16ZHJHEFFl+5pRSHBSGnt,n7ZQ~~60_1.JPG
    18.6 KB · Views: 553
Physics news on Phys.org
not knowing your book I'd say ask the teacher or better yet read them all.

Problem is my teacher tells us to figure it out ourselves.

Herc Hansen said:
I'm using a Quantum Physics student textbook for physics at school. My class started with Kinematics and I want to know what pages I should read to better understand the topic.

Can't find a table of contents for that book, but here's some information on Quantum Kinematics:

http://pms.iitk.ernet.in/wiki/index.php/Basic_formulation_and_Quantum_kinematics

It's usually the material before the discussion of the time evolution of states, i.e. Quantum Dynamics described by the time-dependent Schroedinger equation.

Actually that's the name of the book and it has nothing to do with actual quantum physics. This is for high school physics.

A book titled "Quantum Physics" that isn't actually about quantum physics? :confused:

[added after some Google-sleuthing]

Aha, it's by Bensaada, Ouelette and Pépin, published by Chenelière Éducation in Montreal. I turned up an answer key which lists the following units for "Third Year of Secondary Cycle Two":

• Geometric Optics
  • Preliminary Notions of Mechanics
  • Kinematics
  • Dynamics
  • Energy and its Transformations

Definitely nothing but classical mechanics and optics. The unit on Kinematics has the following chapters:

• Uniform Rectilinear Motion
  • Uniformly Accelerated Rectilinear Motion
  • The Motion of Projectiles

And the previous unit includes a chapter on Vectors.

Not being able to look inside the actual book, or read your teacher's mind, I can't suggest specific pages to read. If you want alternate reading material, any college/university level algebra/trig based intro physics textbook includes those topics, probably at a level slightly above this book. An example is "College Physics" by Serway and Vuille which is what we happen to use here. If you look on Amazon for it, it will probably give you other suggestions for similar books.

Last edited:
Thank you for that. Yes I live in Montreal and it is strange that they gave the book title, quantum physics even though it's not about quantum physics.

Herc Hansen said:
Thank you for that. Yes I live in Montreal and it is strange that they gave the book title, quantum physics even though it's not about quantum physics.

Probably some marketing moron chose the title because it sounded cool. I'd be mortified if I was one of the authors.

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the causes of that motion.

2. What topics are typically covered in a kinematics textbook?

A kinematics textbook will cover topics such as displacement, velocity, acceleration, projectile motion, circular motion, and relative motion.

3. How can I use a kinematics textbook to solve problems?

To solve problems using a kinematics textbook, you will need to understand the basic equations and principles of kinematics and apply them to the given situation. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem, identify the relevant information, and choose the appropriate equation to solve for the unknown variable.

4. Are there any real-life applications of kinematics?

Yes, kinematics has many real-life applications, such as in sports where it is used to analyze athletes' movements and performance. It is also used in engineering to design and improve machines and structures, and in the study of celestial bodies and their motion.

5. How can I use a kinematics textbook to improve my understanding of physics?

Kinematics is an important foundation for understanding many other areas of physics, such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism. By studying the principles and equations in a kinematics textbook, you can develop a strong understanding of the fundamental concepts of physics which will help you in further studies and applications of the subject.