What Does "Dry" Mean? Explanations & Uses

• Thread starter theoristo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mean
In summary, when someone says that a book is dry, it means that the book lacks flavor and is written in a straightforward style without much explanation or entertainment value. This can be seen as a negative quality and may imply that the author is not very skilled. However, in some cases, a dry style may be seen as advanced or intellectual.
theoristo
What does it mean when someone says that a book is dry ?Does the book lack explanation?or is the book boring? is it pejorative?

Physics news on Phys.org
It means lacking flavor --- written in a "just the facts" style

Thanks.

It means there's a low concentration of moisture per unit volume in that particular system.

I agree that dry means, just the facts. For example, a comedian who is dry will say jokes like "a man walks into a bar, ouch!" or "I was driving home and turned into my driveway, but it was a dead end". It is pejorative, it usually implies the author is unaccomplished. A dry comedian is not very funny, a dry book is not terribly well written, etc, the authorship is poor. So you'll see reviews say things like "on the dry side (or a little dry) but has good coverage", the coverage is excusing the dryness.

I suppose it is a little like sophisticated. Sophisticated used to mean, convoluted, terse, but now it it seen as meaning advanced or intellectual. So "the treatment of differential forms is dry and sophisticated" could be a recommendation.

Last edited:

1. What does "dry" mean?

Dry means the absence of moisture or water. It is the opposite of wet.

2. How is "dry" measured or quantified?

Dryness can be measured in terms of water content, humidity levels, or dew point. It can also be quantified by the absence of any liquid or moisture on a surface or in a substance.

3. What are some common uses of "dry"?

"Dry" has many different uses, including describing weather conditions, food or beverages, skin or hair, and materials such as paint or concrete. It can also refer to a lack of emotion or humor in a situation.

4. What are some examples of things that can be considered "dry"?

Examples of things that can be considered dry include a desert, a dry towel, dry skin, dry humor, dry food such as cereal or crackers, and dry-erase markers.

5. How does "dry" affect everyday life?

"Dry" can have a significant impact on everyday life. It can affect agriculture, food production, and the availability of water. It can also impact personal hygiene, comfort, and the preservation of materials. In addition, dry conditions can increase the risk of fires and wildfires.