Showing if f and g are bijective then so is g o f

• Thread starter bonfire09
  • Start date
In summary, if f and g are bijective functions with f:A→B and g:B→C, then g ∘ f is bijective. To show that g ∘ f is one to one, we suppose that g ∘ f(a1) = g ∘ f(a2) and use the fact that g is one to one to show that a1 = a2. To show that g ∘ f is onto, we use the fact that g is onto to show that for every c in C, there exists an a in A such that g ∘ f(a) = c. Therefore, g ∘ f is bijective.
bonfire09

Homework Statement

If ##f## and ##g## are bijective functions and ##f:A→B## and ##g:B→C## then ##g \circ f## is bijective.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Showing ##g \circ f## is one to one
Suppose that ##g\circ f(a_1)=g\circ f(a_2)=> g(f(a_1))=g((f(a_2))## Since ##g## is one to one then ##f(a_1)=f(a_2)=b##. But since f is bijective there exists ##a_1## and ##a_2## in ##A## such that ##f(a_1)=b## and ##f(a_2)=b##. Since f is one to one then ##a_1=a_2##
Showing ##g \circ f## is onto
Since ##f## is onto there exists a ##a\in A## such that ##f(a)=b## where ##b\in B##. Then ##g(b)=c## for a ##c\in C## since g is onto. Thus ##g(b)=g(f(a))=c## implies that ##g \circ f## is onto.

Would this be right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bonfire09 said:
Showing ##g \circ f## is one to one
Suppose that ##g(b_1)=g(b_2)##
Not a good start. You need to start with supposing ##g \circ f (a_1) = g \circ f (a_2)##

I fixed it now. Is the onto part correct?

bonfire09 said:
I fixed it now. Is the onto part correct?

Not really. You should start with some arbitrary c in C then prove there exists an a in A such that etc.

Oh I was thinking that the range of f is in the domain of g so I thought I could do that. I'm curious why is the way I did it was wrong?

bonfire09 said:
Oh I was thinking that the range of f is in the domain of g so I thought I could do that. I'm curious why is the way I did it was wrong?
You started with a b in B and found from that an a in A and a c in C. But the second of those did not require g to be onto. g is defined on B, so there would have to be a c in C. So you did not show that for any c in C there is an a in A.

I fixed the onto part.Here it is. Since ##g## is onto then for every ##c\in C## there exists a unique ##b\in B## such that ##g(b)=c##. Since ##f## is onto there exists a ##a\in A## such that ##f(a)=b##. Now we see ##c=g(b)=g(f(a))=g\circ f(a)##. Thus ##g \circ f## is onto

bonfire09 said:
I fixed the onto part.Here it is. Since ##g## is onto then for every ##c\in C## there exists a unique ##b\in B## such that ##g(b)=c##. Since ##f## is onto there exists a ##a\in A## such that ##f(a)=b##. Now we see ##c=g(b)=g(f(a))=g\circ f(a)##. Thus ##g \circ f## is onto
Good. (But it is not necessary that b is unique for this part of the proof.)

1. What is the definition of a bijective function?

A bijective function is a type of function in mathematics where each element in the domain is paired with exactly one element in the range, and each element in the range is paired with exactly one element in the domain. This means that the function is both injective (one-to-one) and surjective (onto).

2. How do you prove that a function is bijective?

To prove that a function is bijective, you must show that it is both injective and surjective. This can be done through various methods such as using the horizontal line test, showing that the function has an inverse, or using the definition of injectivity and surjectivity to show that the function satisfies both conditions.

3. What does it mean for two functions to be "composable"?

Two functions are considered composable if the output of one function can be used as the input for the other function. In other words, the range of the first function must be a subset of the domain of the second function.

4. How do you show that the composition of two bijective functions is also bijective?

To show that the composition of two bijective functions is also bijective, you must first prove that the composition is well-defined (meaning that the output of the first function can be used as the input for the second function). Then, you can use the definition of bijectivity to show that the composition is both injective and surjective, thus proving that it is bijective.

5. Why is it important to prove that a function is bijective?

Proving that a function is bijective is important because it guarantees that the function has a well-defined inverse, which can be useful in solving equations and finding solutions to problems. It also allows for easier manipulation of the function and helps to establish a one-to-one correspondence between elements in the domain and range.