Simplify Fraction with same term in Num and Dem, but.

In summary, the conversation discusses how to factor/simplify the fraction \frac{ab}{ab+cd}. The participants suggest factoring out the common factor b in the denominator, changing the form to 1/(1+(cd)/(ab)), and using it as a transfer function for circuit design.
zKarp

Homework Statement

I'm having a brain fart, how do you factor/simplify a fraction such as [itex]\frac{ab}{ab+cd}[/itex]
I keep thinking multiply by ab-bc but I'm not sure.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
zKarp said:

Homework Statement

I'm having a brain fart, how do you factor/simplify a fraction such as [itex]\frac{ab}{ab+bc}[/itex]
I keep thinking multiply by ab-bc but I'm not sure.

Uh, the terms in the denominator have common factor b. Why don't you factor it out?

Dick said:
Uh, the terms in the denominator have common factor b. Why don't you factor it out?

I'm sorry I miss typed it after using latex format. It's suppose to be DC not BC.

zKarp said:
I'm sorry I miss typed it after using latex format. It's suppose to be DC not BC.

Then I don't think there is any form that is terribly much simpler than what you written. You can change the form, like to 1/(1+(cd)/(ab)), but I don't think the alternate forms are much simpler.

Dick said:
Then I don't think there is any form that is terribly much simpler than what you written. You can change the form, like to 1/(1+(cd)/(ab)), but I don't think the alternate forms are much simpler.

Thank you! This actually does. I should of stated I'm doing transfer functions for circuit design and that's the type of form desired. Thank you!

zKarp said:
Thank you! This actually does. I should of stated I'm doing transfer functions for circuit design and that's the type of form desired. Thank you!

Ok, so I helped by accident. You're welcome!

1. How do you simplify a fraction with the same term in the numerator and denominator?

To simplify a fraction with the same term in the numerator and denominator, you can divide the numerator and denominator by that common term. This will result in a simplified fraction with a numerator of 1 and a denominator of the remaining term.

2. Can fractions with different terms in the numerator and denominator be simplified?

Yes, fractions with different terms in the numerator and denominator can also be simplified. You can find the greatest common factor of both terms and divide them by it to simplify the fraction.

3. What is the purpose of simplifying fractions?

The purpose of simplifying fractions is to make them easier to work with and understand. Simplified fractions are in their lowest terms and can help with calculations and comparisons.

4. Is it necessary to simplify fractions in everyday life?

Simplifying fractions is not always necessary in everyday life, but it can make certain tasks, such as cooking or measuring, easier. It can also help with understanding and comparing fractions in everyday situations.

5. Can fractions with variables be simplified?

Yes, fractions with variables can also be simplified. You can follow the same steps as simplifying fractions with numbers, but you may need to use algebraic techniques to find the greatest common factor of the terms.