What is the proof for a^n > n for all natural numbers n and a >= 2?

• Thread starter synkk
  • Start date
In summary, by using induction, it has been proven that for all ## x \geq -1 ## and n being a natural number, ## (1+x)^n \geq 1 + nx ##. From this, it can be deduced that for any real number # a \ geq 2 ##, ## a^n > n ## for all n belonging to the natural numbers. This is proven by setting a = 1 + x and using the previously proved inequality. Therefore, the statement holds true for all a and n.
synkk
Prove for all ## x \geq -1 ## and n being a natural number, ## (1+x)^n \geq 1 + nx ## I've done this using induction

hence deduce from this that for any real number # a \ geq 2 ##, ## a^n > n ## for all n belonging to the natural numbers.

I'm stuck at the deduce part

I'm not sure what deduce means, it seems fairly obvious so instead I tried to prove it, by again, induction:

a = 2,
2^n > n which is true a n >= 1
assume true for a = k

then when a = k+1

(k+1)^n > n

I don't see how I can prove it from here, it seems obvious as k >= 2 and n >=1 this will always hold true, and thus a^n > n but I can't seem to prove it. Does anyone have any tips on proving as I'm fairly new at this

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
synkk said:
Prove for all ## x \geq -1 ## and n being a natural number, ## (1+x)^n \geq 1 + nx ## I've done this using induction

hence deduce from this that for any real number # a \ geq 2 ##, ## a^n > n ## for all n belonging to the natural numbers.

I'm stuck at the deduce part

I'm not sure what deduce means

It means "show that this follows from what you have just proved".

In this case, you've shown that if [itex]x \geq -1[/itex] then [itex](1 + x)^n \geq 1 + nx[/itex].

Now see what happens if you set [itex]a = 1 + x[/itex].

pasmith said:
It means "show that this follows from what you have just proved".

In this case, you've shown that if [itex]x \geq -1[/itex] then [itex](1 + x)^n \geq 1 + nx[/itex].

Now see what happens if you set [itex]a = 1 + x[/itex].

how would that work exactly? it states that a >= 2 if we let a = 1 + x then a >= 0 as x >= -1?

Last edited:
if I ignore my confusion above I ge tthis:

a^n >= 1 + nx

as x >= -1 a^n >= 1 - n

as n is a natural number n >=1
hence a^n > n

1. Why is it important to prove things in science?

Proving things in science is important because it allows us to verify and validate our findings and conclusions. It helps to ensure the accuracy and reliability of our scientific knowledge and theories.

2. What is the biggest challenge in proving something in science?

The biggest challenge in proving something in science is the need for rigorous and repeatable experiments and observations. This requires careful design and execution of experiments, as well as thorough analysis and interpretation of data.

3. How do scientists deal with conflicting evidence when trying to prove something?

When faced with conflicting evidence, scientists carefully evaluate and analyze the data and experiments to determine the most plausible explanation. They may also conduct additional experiments or studies to gather more evidence and support their claims.

4. Can something be proven in science without a doubt?

In science, we cannot prove something with 100% certainty. This is because scientific knowledge is constantly evolving and new evidence may emerge that challenges previous theories. However, we can gather strong evidence and support for our claims through rigorous experimentation and observation.

5. What is the role of peer review in proving something in science?

Peer review is a critical aspect of proving something in science. It involves the evaluation of scientific research and findings by experts in the same field. This process helps to ensure that the research is of high quality and the conclusions are supported by evidence. It also allows for constructive criticism and suggestions for improving the study.