Some trouble with calculations…

In summary, the conversation was about using the Inverse Square Law to find the value of g at the surface of the Earth. The equation used was g = GmM/r^2, with G representing the Gravitational Constant and M representing the Mass of the Earth. After the calculation was done, the value of g was found to be 9,838,028. However, there was some confusion about the units used and it was suggested to convert everything to SI units for consistency. It was also mentioned that physical quantities cannot be represented by numbers alone, but must include units. The conversation then shifted to finding the value of g for the moon and discussing the formula G*M*(2R/D^3), with D representing
Lucretius
I was doing the Inverse Square Law, trying to find out g at the surface of the Earth.

[tex]\frac{4\pi(G)(M)}{4\pi(r)^2}=g[/tex]

G = Gravitational Constant
M = Mass of Earth

[tex]\frac{4\pi(6.67x10^-11)(6.0x10^24)}{4\pi(6378^2)}=g[/tex]

[tex]g=9,838,028[/tex]

If I did the math right, can anyone tell me what this value means? I don't know what gravity is supposed to be quantified as. Can't be acceleration unless I did the math wrong (which I wouldn't doubt I did.) Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Lucretius said:
I was doing the Inverse Square Law, trying to find out g at the surface of the Earth.

[tex]\frac{4\pi(G)(M)}{4\pi(r)^2}=g[/tex]

G = Gravitational Constant
M = Mass of Earth

[tex]\frac{4\pi(6.67x10^-11)(6.0x10^24)}{4\pi(6378^2)}=g[/tex]

[tex]g=9,838,028[/tex]

If I did the math right, can anyone tell me what this value means? I don't know what gravity is supposed to be quantified as. Can't be acceleration unless I did the math wrong (which I wouldn't doubt I did.) Any help is appreciated.

It looks like you're mixing units.

Should I be getting 9.8 as my answer?

Your answer will be completely dependent upon your units. F = ma = GmM/r^2, so g = a= Gm/r^2. Acceleration has units of distance/time^2.

So is it legal for me to use these units:

[tex]\frac{4\pi(6.67\times10^-11m^3 k^-1 s^-2)(6.0\times10^2^4kg)}{4\pi(6378km^2)}=g[/tex]

If g = a, a should be m/s/s, correct?

Sorry, I'm a physics newbie :(

Last edited:
Look at the units you use, and make sure they cancel out. The easiest thing to do is to convert everything to the same units. km to m, kg to g.

For example, if a quantity is 100 km/s, you would convert that to 100 km/s * 1000m/1km = 1E+05 m/s.

Do a web search on "Dimensional analysis".

The thing you should realize is that physical quantities are not numbers; they are numbers times units. So saying the length of your foot is 12 is simply wrong; it is 12 inches. So in the same sense, your first post made no sense. In post #5, you quote the units but do not cancel them. For example, you have a kg^-1 and a kg on top, and they completely cancel, leaving no kg in the final units. Also, the m^3 on top cancels the km^2 on the bottom, leaving metre per kilo squared. It is the kilo squared, which equals a million, that you left out. In a sense, your answer is 9838028 metres per kilo^2 per s^2, which is right, but is exactly the same as 9.838028 metres per s^2, since a kilo is a thousand (exactly).

Was there are reason for carrying that "[tex]4\pi[/tex]" in both numerator and denominator?

Okay, I think I see what I did wrong now. Let me see if I understand correctly.

[tex]\frac{4\pi(6.67\times10^-^1^1m^3 k^-^1 s^-^2)(7.347673\times10^2^2 kg)}{4\pi(1738km^2)}=g[/tex]

The answer is 1.62246789 m/s/s, correct?

Last edited:
That's the number for the moon.The number looks okay,but the units do not match.Try to put everything to SI-mKs.

Daniel.

Not to mention that he's written "m/s" which is velocity not acceleration.

On the subject of the moon, which is indeed what I was finding, I read here that this number has nothing to do with tidal effects. Do you know what would? This isn't homework by the way, it's something I am interested in finding out to show why the moon-drift argument of Young Earth Creationists is incorrect.

EDIT: I found a formula:

[tex]G\times M(moon)\times\frac{2R}{D^3}[/tex]

where D = Distance from moon center to Earth center
and R = Radius of the Earth

I put all distances into meters so it would all match up.

[tex](6.67\times10^-^1^1m^3kg^-^1s^-^2)(7.3\times10^2^2kg)\times\frac{2(6378000m)}{384403000m^3}=1.02\times10^-^6ms^2[/tex]

Last edited:
How about doing those calculations again...?This time the units fit,but the numbers don't.

Daniel.

What is the cause of the errors in my calculations?

There are a few potential causes for errors in calculations, including human error, incorrect data or assumptions, and using the wrong formula or units.

How can I prevent errors in my calculations?

To prevent errors, it is important to double check your work, use reliable data and assumptions, and make sure you are using the correct formula and units. It can also be helpful to have someone else review your calculations.

What should I do if I notice errors in my calculations?

If you notice errors in your calculations, it is important to go back and review your work. Check for any mistakes or incorrect data and make corrections as needed. If you are unsure of how to fix the errors, consult with a colleague or supervisor for assistance.

Are there any tools or resources that can help with calculations?

There are many tools and resources available to assist with calculations, such as calculators, computer programs, and reference books. It is important to use reliable and accurate tools to ensure the accuracy of your calculations.

What should I do if I encounter a calculation that I am not familiar with?

If you encounter a calculation that you are not familiar with, take the time to research and understand the formula and its purpose. You can also consult with other experts or references for guidance. It is important to fully understand the calculation before attempting to solve it.