What Steps Can Solve the Frictional Force in a Banked Curve Problem?

In summary, the problem at hand is to determine the frictional force on a car driving around a curved road. The car has a radius of 410 m and a speed of 32 m/s, while the road is banked at 5.0 degrees. Using net force equations for the x and y directions, the frictional force is determined to be 2257.5 N downwards along the incline, with a calculated coefficient of friction of 0.161, which is reasonable for rubber on dry concrete.
HeatherH
I've been working on this problem for hours and I just can't figure out what to do next! Here it is-

A car drives around a curve with radius 410 m at a speed of 32 m/s. The road is banked at 5.0 degrees. The mass of the car is 1400 kg. What is the frictional force on the car?

I drew the FBD and got net force equations for the x and y directions:

Fxnet: Fsin(theta) = m(vsquared)/r -Nsin(theta)
Fynet: Fcos(theta) = Ncos(theta) - mg

But now I don't know what to do. I know what the correct answer is (back of the book), but I can't figure out how to get there. When I plug in the numbers, it doesn't come out right. Are my net force equations wrong?

Hints? Suggestions? Please!

Thanks, Heather

Physics news on Phys.org
What about the frictional force f? Resolve it into horizontal and vertical components and add it to your equations of motion.

The frictional force is the Fsin(theta) for the x/horizontal and Fcos(theta) for the y/vertical. I think I did that part right, but I'm really not that great at physics, so it could be wrong.

ok I am defining x to be radially inwards/outwars and the y direction to be up and down. These directions are as I stated them and not oriented along the incline. It seems in your equations you had the wrong trig function associated with the friction and some of your directions were opposite.

From the FBD in the Y direction we have
Normal*cos(theta) + Friction*sin(theta) - Weight = 0

From the FBD in the X direction we have
Normal*sin(theta) - Friction*cos(theta) = m*v^2/r

2eqns, 2 unknowns (Normal and Friction), the system is linear too!

Sorry I really don't feel like solving this algebraiclly so I am just going to throw in the numbers

This gives

Normal = 13972.5 N (perpendicularily outwards of the incline)
Friction = -2257.5 N (up the incline)

Notice in the model I chose I had friction acting up the incline, because this value is negative, we know the actual frictional force is

Friction = 2257.5 N (down the incline)

This is feasible as Friction < Normal
These values give u = 0.161 which is a reasonable value for the coefficient of friction

1. What is frictional force?

Frictional force is a force that opposes the motion of an object when it is in contact with another object or surface. It is caused by the microscopic irregularities between the two surfaces and can act in the direction of motion or against it.

2. How do you calculate frictional force?

Frictional force can be calculated by multiplying the coefficient of friction between the two surfaces by the normal force acting between them. The normal force is the force perpendicular to the surface of contact.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of frictional force?

The magnitude of frictional force depends on the coefficient of friction, the normal force, and the roughness and materials of the two surfaces in contact. It also increases with the weight of the object and the force applied to it.

4. How does frictional force affect motion?

Frictional force opposes motion, so it can slow down or stop an object in motion. It also causes objects to require more force to start moving from rest. In some cases, it can also generate heat and wear down surfaces.

5. How can you reduce frictional force?

Frictional force can be reduced by using lubricants between surfaces, making surfaces smoother, or decreasing the weight or force applied to the object. In some cases, changing the materials of the surfaces in contact can also reduce frictional force.