Capacitance Across Not-So-Parallel Plates

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the capacitance across parallel plates with one of the plates having a stair step shape. The possibility of treating the two sections as two sets of parallel plate capacitors is mentioned, but it is also noted that the perpendicular part of the stair step may need to be accounted for through integration. It is suggested to consult a physics textbook for further guidance.
^eMpTy^
I'm trying to calculate the capacitance across a couple of parallel plates but, for fun, one of the plates looks like a stair step. So it has 2 sections facing one normal parallel plate at different distances.

I see two possibilities here, one being that I can simply treat the two sections as two sets of parallel plate capacitors and apply the appropriate formula using two different distances for each section.

However that leaves the perpendicular part of the stairstep unaccounted for. So my second thought was that I would have to do an integral across that part of the surface from one distance to the other. But since there is zero exposed surface area that is parallel to the regular straight plate, that doesn't quite make sense to me either.

If that all made sense to you...can you kick me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
!Yas

Actually the angle is very small and therefore the unexposed area can be neglected.

You have to integrate.

I think this in "Concepts of physics" by Resnik and Halliday. I have solved it earlier.

If the step has "really small Area"
(compared to the total plate Area),
just treat it like 2 capacitors.

alternate way of deciding:
If you know how to find the E-field near
a conductor with an inside corner like that,
accounting for the varying charge density,
then go for it.

What is capacitance?

Capacitance is the ability of a system to store an electric charge. It is measured in farads (F) and is represented by the symbol C.

What are not-so-parallel plates?

Not-so-parallel plates refer to a capacitor with two plates that are not perfectly parallel to each other. This can occur due to manufacturing imperfections or external forces acting on the plates.

How does capacitance change with not-so-parallel plates?

The capacitance of a capacitor with not-so-parallel plates is affected by the distance between the plates, the surface area of the plates, and the dielectric material between them. As the plates become less parallel, the distance between them decreases, resulting in an increase in capacitance.

What is the effect of not-so-parallel plates on the electric field?

Not-so-parallel plates can cause the electric field between the plates to become non-uniform. This is because the electric field lines will be more concentrated near the edges of the plates where they are closer together.

Can capacitance across not-so-parallel plates be calculated?

Yes, capacitance across not-so-parallel plates can be calculated using the equation C = ε0A/d, where ε0 is the permittivity of free space, A is the surface area of the plates, and d is the distance between them. However, this calculation may not be accurate for highly non-parallel plates and more complex equations may need to be used.