Solving Fourier Series Prob: Need Help With Integral Parts

In summary, the conversation discusses changing the interval of integration from 0 to π/2 to better fit the equation and the resulting changes in the integral of |cos(x)|. There is also a question about whether it would be easier to integrate from -l to l instead.
math&science
I've got parts of this problem but I'm stuck on some of the integration. See attached. Thanks!

Attachments

• problem.doc
    21 KB · Views: 206
Physics news on Phys.org
First, since an interval is 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex] what are you integrating over 0 to [itex]\pi/2[/tex]?

Second, since cos x is positive from 0 to [itex]\pi/2[/itex] and negative from [itex]\pi/2[/itex] to [itex]\pi[/itex], you can replace |cos(x)| with
cos(x) from 0 to [itex]\pi/2[/itex] and with -cos(x) for [itex]\pi/2[/itex] to [itex]\pi[/itex].

HallsofIvy said:
First, since an interval is 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex] what are you integrating over 0 to [itex]\pi/2[/tex]?
Second, since cos x is positive from 0 to [itex]\pi/2[/itex] and negative from [itex]\pi/2[/itex] to [itex]\pi[/itex], you can replace |cos(x)| with
cos(x) from 0 to [itex]\pi/2[/itex] and with -cos(x) for [itex]\pi/2[/itex] to [itex]\pi[/itex].

I changed the interval I was integrating over b/c that's part of the equation. You can't integrate from -l to l so you change it to 0 to l where l is half of the fundamental period and instead of multiplying the integral by 1/l, I changed it to 2/l. Is it easier to just integrate from -l to l?

Last edited:

1. What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a way of representing a periodic function as a sum of simple sine and cosine functions. It is often used in fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering to analyze and solve problems involving periodic phenomena.

2. How do you solve a Fourier series?

To solve a Fourier series, you need to find the coefficients of the sine and cosine terms that make up the series using integration. This involves finding the integral parts of the series, which can be challenging and require advanced mathematical techniques such as trigonometric identities and substitution.

3. What is the importance of solving Fourier series?

Solving Fourier series is important because it allows us to analyze and describe complex periodic functions in terms of simpler components. This can help us understand and predict the behavior of these functions, which is crucial in many areas of science and engineering.

4. What are some common techniques for solving Fourier series?

Some common techniques for solving Fourier series include using trigonometric identities, integration by parts, and substitution. In some cases, it may also be helpful to use symmetry properties or graphing techniques to simplify the problem.

5. What are some common challenges in solving Fourier series?

Solving Fourier series can be challenging because it requires a strong understanding of advanced mathematical concepts and techniques. Additionally, the integrals involved in finding the coefficients can be complex and difficult to evaluate. It is also important to be aware of convergence issues and to use appropriate convergence tests to ensure the accuracy of the solution.