specific heat capacity

by Yh Hoo
Tags: capacity, heat, specific
Yh Hoo
Apr20-13, 05:21 AM
P: 73
Now consider two objects,A and B. A has a higher specific heat capacity that B. When both object is subjected to same amount of thermal or heat energy, rise in temperature in A is lower as our common reason(A has a higher specific heat capacity)

But what stated by First law of thermodynamics that Increase in internal energy is caused by heat energy transfer to in and work done on it. since temperature is a measure of average kinetic energy of particles in a system, it means perticles in A has a greater amount of kinetic energy than B. Meanwhile , energy should be conserved, so it means portion
heat energy flow to A and is stored as kinetic energy of particles is lower than B.
NOW, WHERE DOES THE REST PORTION OF THE THERMAL ENERGY FLOW TO A converted to? the electrical potential energy(another component of internal energy) of the particles in A ?
if so that means object with high specific heat capacity has a lower tendency to store the thermal energy received in the form kinetic energy of particles?

can somebody explain this to me? or correct me if i am wrong. Thanks a lot.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists consider implications of recent revelations about the universe's first light
Vacuum ultraviolet lamp of the future created in Japan
Grasp of SQUIDs dynamics facilitates eavesdropping
Andrew Mason
Apr20-13, 10:08 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 6,588
Quote Quote by Yh Hoo View Post
Now consider two objects,A and B. A has a higher specific heat capacity that B. When both object is subjected to same amount of thermal or heat energy, rise in temperature in A is lower as our common reason(A has a higher specific heat capacity)

But what stated by First law of thermodynamics that Increase in internal energy is caused by heat energy transfer to in and work done on it. since temperature is a measure of average kinetic energy of particles in a system,
Temperature is the measure of only one kind of kinetic energy: translational kinetic energy (energy due to the motion of the centre of mass of the molecules). Rotational and vibrational kinetic energies do not directly affect temperature.

it means particles in A has a greater amount of kinetic energy than B. Meanwhile , energy should be conserved, so it means portion
heat energy flow to A and is stored as kinetic energy of particles is lower than B.
NOW, WHERE DOES THE REST PORTION OF THE THERMAL ENERGY FLOW TO A converted to? the electrical potential energy(another component of internal energy) of the particles in A ?
if so that means object with high specific heat capacity has a lower tendency to store the thermal energy received in the form kinetic energy of particles?

can somebody explain this to me? or correct me if i am wrong. Thanks a lot.
Your question is a good one. There are two aspects to this. Higher heat capacity could be due to stronger forces between molecules (so some energy is stored as potential energy). It could also be due to additional degrees of freedom of the molecules (some energy stored as vibrational or rotational energy of molecules).

AM
Yh Hoo
Apr20-13, 10:50 AM
P: 73
wow thanks a lot! it is sufficient for me already as a pre u student.

Register to reply