Why Is V_G at 0 in MOSFET Circuit Analysis?

In summary, the voltage at the gate terminal (V_G) of a MOSFET is typically referenced to the source terminal (V_S) and the voltage between the gate and source (V_GS) is equal to V_G minus V_S.
___

Homework Statement

fzah6b.jpg

Homework Equations

[tex]dI = \frac{\partial I}{\partial V_{GS}} dV_{GS} + \frac{\partial I}{\partial V_{DS}}dV_{DS}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I was just wondering why [tex]\small V_{G}[/tex] is at 0. I have solved the entire question (there are more parts :P), but I could only do it once I was told that [tex]\small V_{GS} = - V_S + V_G = - V_S[/tex]. I am having a hard time getting my head around that.
Shouldn't [tex]\small V_{G}[/tex] simply be [tex]\small V_{i}[/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. It is important to remember that in circuit analysis, the voltage at the gate terminal (V_G) of a MOSFET is typically referenced to the source terminal (V_S). This means that the voltage between the gate and source (V_GS) is equal to the voltage at the gate (V_G) minus the voltage at the source (V_S).

In the equation you have provided, the term for V_GS is calculated by taking the partial derivative of the current (I) with respect to V_GS. This means that V_GS is the independent variable in this equation, not V_G.

I hope this helps clarify any confusion you may have had. Keep up the good work on your assignment!

1. What is an amplifier?

An amplifier is an electronic device that increases the amplitude of a signal. It takes an input signal and produces an output signal that is larger in magnitude.

2. How do amplifiers work?

Amplifiers work by taking in a small input signal and using a power source to increase its voltage or current. This amplified signal is then sent to a load, such as a speaker or antenna, to produce a larger output signal.

3. What are the different types of amplifiers?

There are several types of amplifiers, including operational amplifiers, transistor amplifiers, and vacuum tube amplifiers. Each type has its own unique characteristics and uses, but they all serve the same purpose of amplifying a signal.

4. What is gain in an amplifier?

Gain in an amplifier refers to the ratio of output signal amplitude to input signal amplitude. It is typically measured in decibels (dB) and represents how much the signal has been amplified.

5. How do I calculate the gain of an amplifier?

To calculate the gain of an amplifier, you need to know the output signal amplitude and the input signal amplitude. The gain can then be calculated by dividing the output signal amplitude by the input signal amplitude and taking the logarithm of the result (in dB).