Feynman vs Resnick & Halliday: Mechanics for 11th Grade

In summary, the author recommends reading Feynman's Lectures on Mechanics and electromagnetism as a supplemental text to Resnick and Halliday.
dx
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hey, I am currently in 11th grade. Were studying Mechanics from Resnick & Halliday 7th edition. I'd like to know If Feynman does a better job with mechanics? (Volume one). Next year , were going to study electromagnetism, and I was planning on reading Feynman Vol II in the summer, should I or should I just read from Resnick. Basically, I want to know if Feynman's books are better than Resnick & Halliday.

Physics news on Phys.org
Read through the "Feyman's Lectures" thread (right there on the first page of this forum). In short: Feyman is THE rescource for teachers, and professors of elementary physics. THis is not really the ideal textbook for "first time" physics students. IT is a book that anyone could come back to at any time in their physics carreer, and it wouldn't hurt you at all to use this as well as H & R.

As an undergraduate I remember Resnick and Halliday as the book that made physics seem ugly and unappealing, the problem solutuons full of unmotivated assumptions and frustrating unjustified claims.

I hated physics for years afterwards until I read some works by Wheeler, Feynman, Pauli, Einstein, Planck, and de Broglie.

Feynman is to me the one that makes it seem fun, and exciting, and meaningful forever.

Hi! dx
As Chi Meson said that Feyman is THE rescource for teachers, and professors of elementary physics. At your grade, a more standard textbook like Mechanics from Resnick & Halliday 7th edition would be OK!
And remember excersises are good for your understanding of some basic concepts and your ability of solving problems!

I just started reading the Feynman lectures, and I think they are awesome so far and make physics exciting. I think they are a good supplement for reading after you have taken some physics courses.

What is the main difference between "Feynman" and "Resnick & Halliday" for 11th grade mechanics?

The main difference between "Feynman" and "Resnick & Halliday" is their approach to teaching mechanics. Feynman's book is more conceptual and focuses on developing a deep understanding of the subject, while Resnick & Halliday's book is more mathematically rigorous and includes a larger number of practice problems.

Which book is more suitable for 11th grade students?

This depends on the student's learning style and goals. If the student prefers a more conceptual approach and wants to develop a strong understanding of mechanics, then Feynman's book may be more suitable. However, if the student is looking for a more mathematically rigorous approach and wants to solve a large number of practice problems, then Resnick & Halliday's book may be a better choice.

Is it necessary to have prior knowledge of physics before using these books?

Both books are designed for students at the 11th grade level, so some prior knowledge of physics is assumed. However, Feynman's book may be more accessible to students with limited knowledge of physics, as it focuses more on developing conceptual understanding rather than mathematical techniques.

Which book covers a wider range of topics in mechanics?

Resnick & Halliday's book covers a wider range of topics in mechanics, including rotational motion, oscillations, and fluid mechanics. Feynman's book is more focused on the fundamentals of mechanics and may not cover as many advanced topics.

Are there any major differences in the format or layout of these books?

Both books follow a similar format, with clear explanations and illustrations followed by practice problems. However, Feynman's book also includes personal anecdotes and historical context, which may make the material more engaging for some students.