Work and Energy Theorem- change in acceleration

In summary: The toy car has a kinetic energy of 1.21m/s2. The spring slows the toy car to rest with a acceleration that varies from 0 - 3.055m/s2. The spring constant is .555. So the toy car has a kinetic energy of .555*3.055m/s2 or 11.4 kg.
JhonnyO

Homework Statement

A toy car of mass 555g is moving with speed 1.21m/s and strikes a spring mounted to the wall. The spring slows the toy car to rest with a acceleration that varies from 0 - 3.055m/s2.
Determine the spring constant.

Homework Equations

W = -1/2mv2 + 1/2 kx2

The Attempt at a Solution

I've seen equations like this but I don't understand the acceleration part. I think that because there is no friction the work is conservative so it equals zero. Then I solved the equation for x2 and substituted that back into the equation so that I could solve for k but the answer I got doesn't jive with the one my instructor gave me. What am I doing wrong?Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
W = -1/2mva + 1/2 kx2
It should be W = -1/2mva^2 + 1/2 kx2

Why is the acceleration part of the kinematic equation? And if there is a range (0-3.055) then what number should I insert?

Otherwise was the way I was going about solving it right?

Thanks

For kinetic energy you have used 1/2* m *va. It should be 1/2* m *va^2. Is it typo?

oh yea, sorry but the acceleration should be included?

No. a is not a part of the equation. I think there is some confusion in your notation, since I trust you didn't intend that a was a subscript of v.

KE = 1/2*m*v2

my question is still how does the acceleration factor into this problem? I'm trying to work the problem out and I'm not getting the question right I don't understand what I am doing wrong.

am I using the right formula?

You have 2 equations and 2 unknowns don't you?

You don't know k or x.

But they tell you that max a = 3.055 which means that

Fmax = .555*3.055

which is also

Fmax = k*x

You also know that

1/2*m*v2 = 1/2*k*x2

So Xmax = m*v2/Fmax

and k = Fmax/Xmax

What is the Work and Energy Theorem?

The Work and Energy Theorem, also known as the Kinetic Energy Theorem, states that the work done on an object by a net force is equal to the change in kinetic energy of the object. In simpler terms, it explains the relationship between work and energy.

What is the formula for calculating work and energy?

The formula for calculating work and energy is W = F * d * cosθ, where W is work, F is the force applied, d is the displacement of the object, and θ is the angle between the force and displacement vectors. This formula can also be written as ΔKE = W, where ΔKE is the change in kinetic energy.

How does the Work and Energy Theorem relate to change in acceleration?

The Work and Energy Theorem is directly related to change in acceleration because it explains that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. Acceleration is a measure of an object's change in velocity, which is directly related to its kinetic energy. Therefore, any change in acceleration can be explained by the work done on the object.

Can the Work and Energy Theorem be applied to non-conservative forces?

Yes, the Work and Energy Theorem can be applied to non-conservative forces. The theorem states that the work done on an object by a net force is equal to the change in its kinetic energy, regardless of whether the force is conservative or non-conservative. However, for non-conservative forces, the work done will also include any non-conservative work, such as friction or air resistance.

How is the Work and Energy Theorem used in real-world applications?

The Work and Energy Theorem is used in various real-world applications, such as determining the amount of work needed to move an object, calculating the efficiency of machines, and understanding the energy transfer in different systems. It is also used in fields such as engineering, physics, and mechanics to solve problems related to work and energy.