Maximizing Cannon Range from a Cliff of Height h

In summary, the conversation discusses the optimal angle for maximizing the range of a cannonball fired from a cliff of height h with initial velocity v_0 and angle of elevation \theta, assuming no air resistance. The equation for the cannonball's height at any moment within its trajectory is given, as well as the equation for the time spent in the air and the range. The conversation then discusses finding the roots of the derivative of the range equation in order to determine the optimal angle, and the use of trigonometric identities to simplify the equation and solve for \theta. However, there is a discrepancy between the calculated optimal angle and the correct answer, leading to questioning of the formula for the optimal \theta and further discussion of the issue.
bomba923
I shoot a cannon from a cliff of height [itex] h [/itex], with an initial velocity [itex] v_0 [/itex] and angle of elevation [tex] \theta [/tex]. If [itex] h > 0 [/itex], what [tex] \theta [/tex] will maximize the cannon's range (how far the cannonball lands from base of the cliff), assuming no air resistance?
Ok...
The cannonball's height at any moment within its trajectory is
[tex] y = h + v_0 t\sin \theta - \frac{{gt^2 }}{2} [/tex]

The cannon will land at ground zero, so I find that the time spent in the air is:
[tex] y = h + v_0 t\sin \theta - \frac{{gt^2 }}{2} = 0 \Rightarrow t = \frac{{v_0 \sin \theta + \sqrt {v_0^2 \sin ^2 \theta + 2gh} }}{g} [/tex]

And therefore the range is:
[tex] x = v_0 \frac{{v_0 \sin \theta + \sqrt {v_0^2 \sin ^2 \theta + 2gh} }}{g} \cos \theta = \frac{{v_0 }}{g}\left( {v_0 \sin \theta \cos \theta + \left( {\cos \theta } \right)\sqrt {v_0^2 \sin ^2 \theta + 2gh} } \right) [/tex]

*But, which [tex] \theta [/tex] will maximize the range? Here, I simply find the roots of [itex] {dx}/{d\theta} [/itex]:
[tex] \frac{{dx}}{{d\theta }} = \frac{{v_0 }}{g}\left[ {v_0 \cos 2\theta + \frac{{v_0^2 \sin \theta \cos ^2 \theta }}{{\sqrt {v_0^2 \sin ^2 \theta + 2gh} }} - \left( {\sin \theta } \right)\sqrt {v_0^2 \sin ^2 \theta + 2gh} } \right] = 0 \Rightarrow [/tex]
[tex] v_0 \cos 2\theta \; + \; \frac{{v_0^2 \sin \theta \cos ^2 \theta }}{{\sqrt {v_0^2 \sin ^2 \theta + 2gh} }} \; - \; \left( {\sin \theta } \right)\sqrt {v_0^2 \sin ^2 \theta + 2gh} = 0 \Rightarrow [/tex]

To simplify this equation, I can multiply both sides by
[tex] \frac{{\sqrt {v_0^2 \sin ^2 \theta + 2gh} }}{{v_0 \sin \theta }} [/tex]
and continue to get :smile::

[tex] \left( {\cos 2\theta } \right)\sqrt {v_0^2 + 2gh\csc ^2 \theta } \; + \; v_0 \cos 2\theta \; + \; 2v_0^{ - 1} gh = 0 \Rightarrow - \sqrt {v_0^2 + 2gh\csc ^2 \theta } = v_0 \; + \; 2v_0^{ - 1} gh\sec 2\theta \Rightarrow [/tex]

[tex] \csc ^2 \theta = 2\sec 2\theta \left( {1 + v_0^{ - 2} gh\sec 2\theta } \right) [/tex]

Now, we can multiply both sides by [itex] \cos 2\theta [/itex], to get
[tex] \cot ^2 \theta - 1 = 2\left( {1 + v_0^{ - 2} gh\sec 2\theta } \right) \Rightarrow \cot ^2 \theta - 2v_0^{ - 2} gh\sec 2\theta = 3 \Rightarrow ?? [/tex]
And now I'm stuck; any ideas?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't worked it all out, but it seems like this should lead directly to the solution: Take the equation while it still says
[tex] \csc ^2 \theta = 2\sec 2\theta \left( {1 + v_0^{ - 2} gh\sec 2\theta } \right) [/tex]
Now raise both sides to the -1 power:
[tex]\sin^2\theta = \frac{\cos 2\theta} {2(1+ v_0^{ - 2} gh\sec 2\theta) } = \frac{\cos^2 2\theta} {2\cos 2\theta+ 2v_0^{ - 2} gh}[/tex]
Then substitute for [itex]\sin^2 \theta[/itex]:
[tex]\sin^2\theta = 1 - \cos^2 \theta = 1 - \frac{\cos 2\theta +1} {2}[/tex]
Now all of the trig functions are [itex]\cos 2\theta[/itex] so its just a quadratic equation.

Right...therefore,
[tex] 1 - \cos 2\theta = \frac{{\cos ^2 2\theta }}{{v_0^{ - 2} gh + \cos 2\theta }} \Rightarrow \left( {1 - \cos 2\theta } \right)\left( {v_0^{ - 2} gh + \cos 2\theta } \right) = \cos ^2 2\theta \Rightarrow [/tex]
[tex] v_0^{ - 2} gh \; + \; \left( {1 - v_0^{ - 2} gh} \right)\cos 2\theta \; - \; 2\cos ^2 2\theta = 0 \Rightarrow 2v_0^2 \cos ^2 2\theta \; - \; \left( {v_0^2 - gh} \right)\cos 2\theta \; - \; gh = 0 \Rightarrow [/tex]

[tex] \cos 2\theta = \frac{{v_0^2 - gh + \sqrt {v_0^4 + 6v_0^2 gh + g^2 h^2 } }}{{4v_0^2 }} \Rightarrow \theta = \frac{1}{2}\cos ^{ - 1} \left[ {\frac{1}{4} - \frac{{gh - \sqrt {\left( {v_0^2 + gh} \right)^2 + 4v_0^2 gh} }}{{4v_0^2 }}} \right] [/tex]

*Is this correct??
*Can the expression within the arccosine be further simplified?

Last edited:
bomba923 said:

[tex] \left( {\cos 2\theta } \right)\sqrt {v_0^2 + 2gh\csc ^2 \theta } \; + \; v_0 \cos 2\theta \; + \; 2v_0^{ - 1} gh = 0 \Rightarrow - \sqrt {v_0^2 + 2gh\csc ^2 \theta } = v_0 \; + \; 2v_0^{ - 1} gh\sec 2\theta [/tex]

You get your last expresssion here by dividing by [tex]cos2\theta[/tex], but when h = 0, [tex]Cos2\theta = 0[/tex].

When projecting upon horizontal ground, the optimum angle is 45º.

In your final expression (last post), what value of [tex]\theta[/tex] do you get for h = 0?

Well, the original problem explicitly stated
bomba923 said:
If [itex] h > 0 [/itex], what [itex] \theta [/itex] .. ..
Somewhat similar as to why [itex] a \ne 0 [/itex] when solving [itex] a x ^ 2 + b x + c = 0 [/itex] for [itex] x [/itex]. You cannot divide by [itex] 2 a [/itex] in the quadratic formula if [itex] a = 0 [/itex]. However, if [itex] a = 0 [/itex], then there are simpler ways of solving quadratics and get solutions for x. But why is this an issue here? What's wrong with it, if I consider only [itex] h > 0 [/itex] ?

However, we can substitute [itex] h = 10 ^ {-10} [/itex]...or any number sufficiently close to zero--->we can also substitute h = 0. Also, let [tex] v_0 = 10 [/tex]. Needless to say, [itex] g = 9.8 [/itex].
Therefore, the optimal angle would be:
[tex] \theta = \frac{1}{2}\cos ^{ - 1} \frac{1}{2} = \frac{\pi }{6} [/tex]

However, the correct answer is [tex] \theta = {\pi/4} [/tex].

*Thus, I think my formula for the optimal [tex] \theta [/tex] for maximum range is incorrect...But why? Where have I gone wrong? Seriously, why is it wrong do divide by [itex] \cos {2\theta} [/itex]...I mean, I did state [itex] h > 0 [/itex].
|*It seems there's a problem. But what exactly is it? How can it be solved?
And what is the REAL, the True formula to calculate the [tex] \theta [/tex] ?

*According to a friend's calculator, the optimal [tex] \theta [/tex] for maximum range is given by the formula:

[tex] \theta = \cos ^{ - 1} \left[ {\frac{{\sqrt {2\left( {2gh + v_0^4 } \right)} }}{{2\sqrt {gh + v_0^4 } }}} \right] [/tex]

But is this truly the formula to find the optimal [tex] \theta [/tex] for the maximum range? If so, how is it derived?

Last edited:
In the quadratic formula, you can't have a=0, not only because division by zero is out, but because if a = 0, then you don't have a quadratic, just a linear expression in x. The QF is for quadrtic expressions, so having a != 0 is a condition of using it.

In your optimum angle problem, why do you not allow h=0?
h=0 is the state of the problem when projecting upon horizontal ground and any (general) expression should be able to take h=0 as one possible value.
Also, putting h=0 allows you to check the accuracy of your own general solution for one specific case.

I solved this problem in another forum, some time ago, but I can't find my solution. I'll have another look and see if I can figure out something.

Last edited:
Fermat said:
In your optimum angle problem, why do you not allow h=0?
From reading your previous post, it seemed that you saw h = 0 as a problem...a problem when dividing by [itex] cos {2\theta} [/itex] when solving [itex] {dx}/{d\theta} = 0 [/itex] for for [tex] \theta [/tex]. Would it be this step that invalidates my original formula for the [tex] \theta [/tex] ?
Fermat said:
I solved this problem in another forum, some time ago, but I can't find my solution. I'll have another look and see if I can figure out something.
In some other forum (non-PF)...or just in another section of PF?
Can you remember some phrases/quotes, that I may google-search for it?

Aside from that, how fares the calculator solution?
[tex] \theta = \cos ^{ - 1} \left[ {\frac{{\sqrt {2\left( {2gh + v_0^4 } \right)} }}{{2\sqrt {gh + v_0^4 } }}} \right] [/tex]
Not sure how this was derived...but it appears to work:
@h=0, [itex] \theta = {\pi}/{4} [/itex], and [itex] {d\theta}/{dh} < 0 [/itex] as expected.

bomba923 said:
From reading your previous post, it seemed that you saw h = 0 as a problem...a problem when dividing by [itex] cos {2\theta} [/itex] when solving [itex] {dx}/{d\theta} = 0 [/itex] for for [tex] \theta [/tex]. Would it be this step that invalidates my original formula for the [tex] \theta [/tex] ?
This can be a problem, but as a problem can be circumvented by taking out [tex]cos2\theta[/tex] as a factor, which can be equated it to zero as a solution of the expression. This would give you [tex]\theta = \pi/4[/tex] as one solution! So now I don't think that's the problem.
bomba923 said:
... In some other forum (non-PF)...or just in another section of PF?
Can you remember some phrases/quotes, that I may google-search for it?
It's from TSR maths forum, but I've already searched for it with no luck. I'm sorry but I can't remember any significant details - but it was the exact same problem. Fiinding the optimum angle for shooting off a cliff/hill top.
bomba923 said:
Aside from that, how fares the calculator solution?
Not sure how this was derived...but it appears to work:
@h=0, [itex] \theta = {\pi}/{4} [/itex], and [itex] {d\theta}/{dh} < 0 [/itex] as expected.
Still working on it. But there's a problem in the expression you gave. gh and [tex]v_0^4 [/tex] should have the same units. Shouldn't it be [tex]v_0^2[/tex]

Worked throught the problem again, and as answer got,

[tex]cos2\theta = \frac{gh}{gh + v_0^2}[/tex]

which, in effect, is the same the one you got,

(once you chage the [tex]v_0^4[/tex] to [tex]v_0^2[/tex])

Found your error - it was just a wrong sign!

[tex] \left( {\cos 2\theta } \right)\sqrt {v_0^2 + 2gh\csc ^2 \theta } \; + \; v_0 \cos 2\theta \; + \; 2v_0^{ - 1} gh = 0 [/tex]
The final term [tex]+ \; 2v_0^{ - 1} gh[/tex] should be [tex]- \; 2v_0^{ - 1} gh[/tex]

If you work through from there on, you should end up with the expression I got, which you can simplify to the one from your friend with the calculator.

1. How do I calculate the maximum range of a cannon from a cliff of height h?

The maximum range of a cannon from a cliff of height h can be calculated using the formula R = √(2h/g), where R is the maximum range and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²). This formula assumes a flat, horizontal surface and neglects air resistance.

2. How does the angle of elevation affect the maximum range of a cannon?

The angle of elevation has a significant impact on the maximum range of a cannon. The optimal angle for maximum range is 45 degrees, as this allows for the greatest horizontal distance to be covered while still accounting for the effects of gravity.

3. What factors can limit the maximum range of a cannon from a cliff?

Several factors can limit the maximum range of a cannon from a cliff, including air resistance, wind, and the quality of the cannon itself. Additionally, the height and angle of the cliff, as well as the initial velocity of the cannonball, can also affect the maximum range.

4. Can the maximum range of a cannon from a cliff be increased?

Yes, the maximum range of a cannon from a cliff can be increased by increasing the initial velocity of the cannonball, using a higher quality cannon, and accounting for environmental factors such as wind. Additionally, choosing the optimal angle of elevation can also help maximize the range.

5. How is the maximum range of a cannon from a cliff useful in practical applications?

The calculation of the maximum range of a cannon from a cliff is useful in practical applications such as military strategy and engineering. By understanding the maximum range, one can determine the best location for a cannon to be placed for maximum effectiveness. This calculation can also be applied to other projectile motion scenarios, such as launching a rocket or throwing a ball.