Do Indian Students Have a Chance at MIT and Other Top U.S. Universities?

• Thread starter shishubhai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mit
In summary, the conversation discusses the chances of an Indian student getting into top universities like MIT, Stanford, and UC Berkeley for undergraduate studies in Aeronautical Engineering. It is mentioned that top universities look for well-rounded students with exceptional grades and extracurricular activities. The conversation also highlights the challenges of international admission and the high tuition fees at these schools. Additionally, the conversation shares statistics on the number of Indian undergraduates at MIT and mentions the importance of standing out in the application process. It is suggested that excelling in a lesser-known university and pursuing graduate studies may be a better option. Finally, it is mentioned that being a standout in other areas such as sports may increase chances of admission.
shishubhai
Can an INDIAN get in MIT?

Hi!

I am an Indian student in class 11th(passed my 10th this year).

I want to do undergraduation in Aeronautical Engineering from top Universities like Massachussetes, Stanford or UC,Berkeley.

What are the 'essentials' an applicant must have to make it to these colleges?

How do my high school transcript (I mean high school scores) affect my chances at admissions?

Is it true that one has to do loads of Extra-curricular activities to impress the admission officers to your side?

And last- Is it possible for a very good student in India- very good here says 90% scores- to get in MIT or they consider only outstanding kind of students from India?

Please reply! As I don't want to end daydreaming - Neither going to MIT, Stanford, or UC, nor to Indan IITs.

And yes! what minimum marks they require in SAT for an international student?

Likes Jenil Pokar
Physics news on Phys.org
There are many books available which list statistics, on figures like high school GPA and standardized scores, of accepted applicants at many schools.

No one here is qualified to say whether or not you specifically will get admitted, but the statistics will show you whether or not it's likely that you'll be admitted.

Top universities look for well-rounded students who will bring a lot of abilities to their communities, so extracurricular activities look very good on an application. Your high school grades are probably the most significant part of your application, but many other factors are weighed in. Universities don't typically announce how those factors are weighed, though.

Finally, you should consider that the US and many other countries are littered with top-notch public universities; you really don't need to get into Stanford to get a good education or achieve a good career. You definitely need to consider more than just the top couple of schools in the world. While it might seem logical to shoot for the biggest names and best reputations, you might find that you'd be happier and learn more effectively in a lesser-known university that provides a different environment.

Good luck to you in whatever you decide.

- Warren

chroot said:
There are many books available which list statistics, on figures like high school GPA and standardized scores, of accepted applicants at many schools.

No one here is qualified to say whether or not you specifically will get admitted, but the statistics will show you whether or not it's likely that you'll be admitted.

Top universities look for well-rounded students who will bring a lot of abilities to their communities, so extracurricular activities look very good on an application. Your high school grades are probably the most significant part of your application, but many other factors are weighed in. Universities don't typically announce how those factors are weighed, though.

Finally, you should consider that the US and many other countries are littered with top-notch public universities; you really don't need to get into Stanford to get a good education or achieve a good career. You definitely need to consider more than just the top couple of schools in the world. While it might seem logical to shoot for the biggest names and best reputations, you might find that you'd be happier and learn more effectively in a lesser-known university that provides a different environment.

Good luck to you in whatever you decide.

- Warren

International admission is different from domestic. Whilst what you said is true for domestic applicants, the international admission process is far more classic and stricter.

Directly from MIT's website:

NoOneInParticular wrote: "Would it be inappropriate / discouraged to get a recommendation letter from a current MIT undergrad student? Do you remember specifically (or can you imagine) admitting anyone... (a) with a 3.5 gpa (including several B's in math/science), (b) without special accomplishments (such as high school research, or competition in science olympiad, etc., even though the applicant is from a region where such opportunities are available), (c) who has been suspended (for a computer related, non-academic violation), or (d) a + b + c + with a passion for math/science?"

You're welcome to submit supplemental recs from anyone you think might be able to provide us with additional perspective.

(a) yes

(b) yes

(c) depends on the circumstances

(d) now you're pushing it. :-)

Remember: everything in context, always.

Your marks need to be spotless, SAT scores above 750 in what counts for them (math, physics, chemistry), you need to have done something out of the ordinary, like having won competitions or stuff like that.

Last edited:
You can certainly get into MIT (or other elite schools) if you are merely "very good" in *some* respects... but if you are very good in all respects and not outstanding in any, forget it. You need to be able to point to *something* outstanding about yourself in order to have any serious chance of admission.

well check out the IIT entrance exam - see if you can state you attempted that - that should raise some eyebrows over at admissions. Also look at acing your SAT I's and attempt the SAT II paper at least for Math II C , physics, English etc.

I think getting in isn't the problem - its affording ivy league and beyond tuition fees.

shishubhai, as TMFKAN64 has made clear, your odds of getting into MIT are slim to nothing. Part of the difficulty with undergrad admissions, IMO, is that it is truly difficult to distinguish yourself as a high schooler. As a result, applying to places like that are largely a crap shoot for incoming undergrads. You'd probably be better off doing extremely well in a solid non-prestigious college, and then going somewhere else for grad school.

unless you are also really good at soccer, then maybe you can get preference in a top school.

My buddy got into MIT because he was smart and very good wrestler. so mit was like OH HI COME ON IN!

Can you wrestle? hah

If you want to do the strategy where you impress them by having good grades AND being very skilled in some sport, art, or any other extracurricular, the best time to start would be about... 6 years ago?

unless you're already into something, you should opt for the research path to get your application that extra shine you want

Well, I am a high school student from India. I am pretty good in studies(90%+ scorer), I play the guitar and people say I sing pretty well, I have been into a couple of music competitions, I have played a few basketball matches in high school, I have participated in a few science exhibitions, I am the school prefect at present. Do you think all these extra-curricular activities and a few more can help me get into the MIT? I am aspiring to become a theoretical physicist, so, I thought that MIT would be the best place to do my graduation.

Honestly, I don't see what the big hubbub about MIT is. Sure, it's a great school, but it doesn't mean that it's the only one in existence!

Yes, I agree. Why should anyone narrowly focus on only one institute? Instead he/she should keep his/her options open for other schools. Graduating from institutes other than MIT does NOT mean you are not a good physicist/engineer.

Last edited:
About 13 to 16 Indians get through each year as far as I can remember. But these admissions are very unpredictable, especially for international students.

Also note that more than 200 Indians apply to MIT every year. Coming in the top 5%-10% of such a self-select group of high achievers can be difficult.

@Rainbow: You might want to look into other universities like Caltech (which is much more into the theory of science than MIT) etc.

Hey! Thanks for the advice. Hope it'll really help me in getting onto the right track. Well, do you all think that the MIT would be the best place for me if I want to become a theoretical physicist, or would you like to recommend some other institution, like the Caltech, Harvard, Stanford, etc.

trickae, your sister doesn't have to do all of that to get into MIT! She's a girl after all, a few extra curriculars, good SAT scores and good marks will get her in. It's called affirmative action. Plus, excuse me if I'm cynical, but I feel kind of repulsed by the fact that all those involvements are merely to get into a top school.

Last edited:
Wow all that work to get into a college that has a name. I'm glad I didn't work that hard in high school and had fun being a kid. :D

Last edited:
With trickae's comments, if I understood correctly, his/her sister is going to school in Australia? The university entrance system in Australia is hugely different to the admission system in place elsewhere. For more than 95% of courses, you are admitted purely on your year 12 grades (with effectively only Med School/Visual & Performing arts requiring interviews/portfolios). And the Australian high school education system is obviously tailored towards this. Students are required to take a minimum of 6 subjects in high school to even be eligible to get a university entrance score (at least in my state). So to be realistic, I'd say trickae's sister really DOES need to do all that to set herself apart from the pack, given the lack of extracurricular activities that are on offer at Australian school's simply due to the different university entrance requirements. Especially if she wants a scholarship for undergrad.

I am however with others who suggest that getting into MIT/Caltech/Harvard for undergraduate is really not a huge issue. It's grad school that's important, assuming your sister intends to go that far.

i better edit my post then ... lol

'fraid its not for MIT ... what's amazing is her high school provides industry experience and research traineeships to any student that is willing to set 2-4 hrs a day during their holidays. Its not paid but it gives them something to do. Frankly - MIT wouldn't be too much for her - the pressure is far too demanding and i wouldn't consider that place and ideal academic environment to 'enjoy' the learning experience and reap the benefits of college life. Its just that with my dad retiring - she'll most likely need to look at scholarships when applying outside of australia. Its either england or the US. Hope you kids took ure notes I'm taking down that post.

1. Can an Indian student get into MIT?

Yes, Indian students can definitely get into MIT. In fact, there are many Indian students who are currently studying at MIT and have graduated from the university.

2. What are the requirements for an Indian student to get into MIT?

The requirements for admission to MIT are the same for all students, regardless of their nationality. This includes a strong academic record, high test scores (SAT or ACT), letters of recommendation, and a well-written personal statement. Additionally, MIT looks for students who have a passion for learning and have a diverse set of extracurricular activities.

3. Are there any scholarships available for Indian students at MIT?

Yes, there are scholarships available for international students at MIT, including Indian students. These scholarships are awarded based on merit and financial need. You can find more information about these scholarships on MIT's financial aid website.

4. How competitive is it for an Indian student to get into MIT?

Admission to MIT is extremely competitive for all students, including Indian students. The acceptance rate for the class of 2024 was only 7.3%, so it is important for Indian students to have a strong academic record and stand out in their extracurricular activities and personal statement in order to increase their chances of admission.

5. Are there any Indian-specific resources or support available for students at MIT?

Yes, there are several Indian-specific organizations and resources available for students at MIT, such as the MIT India Program, which provides support for Indian students and promotes cultural exchange between India and MIT. There are also many student organizations focused on Indian culture and heritage that students can join. Additionally, MIT has a strong community of Indian alumni who can provide support and guidance to current students.