An introduction to signals and systems

In summary, the conversation discussed the topic of studying signals and systems, with the suggestion of using the book "Signals and Systems" by Oppenheim and Wilsky. The conversation also mentioned the book "Signal Processing and Linear Systems" by B.P Lathi as a good introductory book, with the recommendation to consult with the instructor for the course. Other suggested books include "Discrete-Time Signal Processing" by Oppenheim and Schafer, "Introduction to Signal Processing" by Orfanidis, "Understanding Digital Signal Processing" by Rick Lyons, "Digital Signal Processing and the Microcontroller" by Grover & Deller, and "A Digital Signal Processing Primer" by Steiglitz. The conversation concluded with the decision to possibly purchase Oppenheim
hindeberg
Hi everybody,

I'm a freshman and i want to study signals and systems.
so I'm seeking for a good introductory book. I've heard
about the book "Signals and Systems" written by Oppenheim
and Wilsky.

So is Oppenheim's book suitable for a beginner?
If you know a better introductory book please write it here.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you know calculus? Derivatives and integrals?

Corneo said:
Do you know calculus? Derivatives and integrals?

Yes i know calculus, derivatives, integrals, partial differentiation etc
I have a good mathematical background.

Then that book is fine. I learned Signals and Systems from a book by B.P Lathi.

Corneo said:
Then that book is fine. I learned Signals and Systems from a book by B.P Lathi.

Thank you Corneo!
Do you remember the title.
I've found a book by B.P Lathi titled signal processing and linear systems?
Is it that book what you've read?

Yeah that's the one. It's an easier read than Oppenhiem's book in my opinion. I'm not a signals guy though. But Oppenhiem's book is kinda like the bible.

I'd definitely go with the Oppenheim book, the book is organized with tons of examples and tries to link theory to application whenever possible, one catch though, the book assumes solid background in differential equation and complex numbers, also I'd suggest asking your instructor what book he's using, it's going to make the course a lot easier if you and your Prof. are using the same material

Thank you guys.
You really helped me.
So i'll go with either Oppenheim or Lathi. I browsed these books
in the morning. I'll also consult my Prof but the odds are i'll buy
Oppenheim's book. I may take a look at Lathi's book If i have
difficulty with Oppenheim.

BTW, there are different Alan Oppenheim books that might be considered to be "bible". rather than the Oppenheim and Wilsky, i might call Oppenheim and Schafer (and now there is a tertiary author, Buck, i think), Discrete-Time Signal Processing (commonly referred to as "O&S") to be the bible. but it's a little more grad school level.

a good undergrad text is Orfanidis, Introduction to Signal Processing.

if you don't need as much mathematical formalism, i would suggest Rick Lyons, Understanding Digital Signal Processing or Grover & Deller, Digital Signal Processing and the Microcontroller, or Steiglitz, A Digital Signal Processing Primer, but i am biased toward audio and the Orfanidis and Steiglitz books are also.

also, you might want to check out the USENET newsgroup, comp.dsp .

1. What exactly are signals and systems?

Signals refer to any physical quantity that varies with time, such as sound, temperature, or voltage. Systems are mathematical models used to represent how signals behave and interact with each other.

2. What is the importance of studying signals and systems?

Signals and systems are fundamental concepts in many fields of science and engineering, including communication systems, control systems, and image processing. Understanding these concepts allows us to analyze and manipulate various types of signals, which is crucial for designing and improving technologies and systems.

3. What are some common applications of signals and systems?

Signals and systems are used in a wide range of applications, including audio and video processing, medical imaging, radar and sonar systems, and telecommunications. They are also used in everyday devices like smartphones, digital cameras, and home security systems.

4. Are there any real-world examples of signals and systems?

Yes, there are many real-world examples of signals and systems. For instance, the human voice can be represented as a signal, and the vocal cords and mouth can be modeled as a system. Another example is a radio receiver, where the antenna acts as the input signal and the circuitry inside the radio is the system that processes the signal.

5. How can I learn more about signals and systems?

There are many resources available for learning about signals and systems, such as textbooks, online courses, and video tutorials. You can also attend workshops or conferences related to this topic and practice applying your knowledge through hands-on projects and experiments.