Calculating Torque from motor specs

In summary, to calculate the torque produced by a motor, you can use the equation T = (P*60)/(2*pi*RPM). From the given specifications, you can calculate the input power using the equation P = Amps x Volts x 0.8. Then, using the power and given RPM, you can calculate the torque in Newton-meters. To convert this torque into a force that can lift 5 pounds, you would need an arm length of approximately 3.46 mm.
Leinad
Greetings folks. I am unsure how to calculate the torque produced by a motor if the known voltage input and amps are known. Here are the specs:

3300 RPM @ 1.5Vdc @ 0.075 Amps. 6900 RPM @ 3VDC @ 0.095 Amps. 0.93" Diameter x 1.5" Long body. Operating Range 1.5 to 4.5 VDC. Shaft: 0.07" Diameter x 0.28" Long.

What is(are) the equation(s) to calculate torque with the known variables given?

Physics news on Phys.org
From the current and voltage you can calculate the input power assume an efficiancy (80% ?) you know the speed so you can calculate the torque.

I do not know me what good power or speed do me. What equation would I use to calculate torque? I do not know the relationships. It has been quite some time since a physics course.

To get power output (watts), multiply current x volts x 80%
To get torque in Newton-meters, multiply power by 60, and divide by 2 pi RPM = 6.28 RPM.
Be sure you are using full-load volts, amps, and RPM

Bob S

So, going along with what has been provided...

P(output) = Amps x Volts x 0.8
P(output) = 0.075 Amps * 1.5 volts * 0.8 = 0.09 Watts
Where P = Power

T = (P*60)/(2*pi*RPM)
T = (0.09 Watts * 60) / (6.28*3300 RPM * (1 min / 60 sec)) = 5.4 / 69.08 = 0.0762 N*M

As for the information you gave me, when dividing by RPM, if a Watt is (1 Joule / second), doesn't Rotations Per Minute (RPM) need to be converted to Rotations Per Second? That would account for (1 min / 60 sec).

I am not too familiar working with torque values, so would you say this could turn a wheel to move 5lb?

Leinad said:
So, going along with what has been provided...

P(output) = Amps x Volts x 0.8
P(output) = 0.075 Amps * 1.5 volts * 0.8 = 0.09 Watts
Where P = Power

T = (P*60)/(2*pi*RPM)
T = (0.09 Watts * 60) / (6.28*3300 RPM * (1 min / 60 sec)) = 5.4 / 69.08 = 0.0762 N*M

As for the information you gave me, when dividing by RPM, if a Watt is (1 Joule / second), doesn't Rotations Per Minute (RPM) need to be converted to Rotations Per Second? That would account for (1 min / 60 sec).
Torque (Newton-meters) = Power (watts) divided by angular velocity (radians per second)

radians per second = 2 pi RPM/60

I am not too familiar working with torque values, so would you say this could turn a wheel to move 5lb?
to lift 5 pounds with torque = 0.0762 N, 5 pounds= ~22 Newtons, so arm length r = 0.0762 N-m/22 N = 0.00346 meters

1. What is torque and why is it important when calculating motor specs?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. In the context of motors, it is the amount of force or "twisting" power that the motor can generate. It is an important factor to consider when calculating motor specs because it determines the motor's ability to move or rotate a load.

2. How do I calculate torque from motor specs?

To calculate torque from motor specs, you will need to know the motor's speed and horsepower. Then, use the formula: Torque (in lb-ft) = Horsepower x 5252 / Speed (in RPM). This will give you the motor's torque output in pound-feet.

3. Can I compare torque values from different motors?

Yes, torque values can be compared between different motors. However, it is important to ensure that the torque values are measured in the same units and under the same conditions for an accurate comparison.

4. How does torque affect a motor's performance?

Torque directly affects a motor's performance by determining its ability to overcome resistance and move or rotate a load. A higher torque value means the motor is capable of producing more force and can handle heavier loads.

5. Are there any other factors besides torque that should be considered when choosing a motor?

Yes, other factors such as motor speed, power source, efficiency, and size should also be considered when choosing a motor. It is important to select a motor that can provide the necessary torque and also meets the requirements for these other factors.