Do have leptons 0 color charge or none?

In summary, leptons do not possess color charge, meaning their color charge is 0. This is similar to not having any money versus having an amount of money that is zero. Additionally, electron interactions never involve the strong force and there is no green+antigreen gluon due to the symmetry group of the strong interaction. Two gluons can form a color-neutral pair, but this pair does not couple to a quark. To learn more about lepton number and color charge, read the article "Lepton Number as the Fourth Color" by Pati and colleagues.
minio
Sorry for the stupid question, but I am just curious. I found that leptons do not have color charge, so they cannot interact like quarks and gluons, but does that mean that thay do not posses such property or is it safe to assume that their colour charge is 0?

Physics news on Phys.org
They do not posses this property which means that their color charge is 0.

Would do you think is the difference between "having zero color charge" and "having no (such property as) color charge"?

What's the difference? It's like asking whether I don't have any money or whether the amount of money I have is zero. It's the same thing.

Well I would just expect that if they have 0 charge they still could mess up with color exchange of particles possesing charge (eg. emitting green+antigreen gluon).

minio said:
Well I would just expect that if they have 0 charge they still could mess up with color exchange of particles possesing charge (eg. emitting green+antigreen gluon).

Electron interactions never involve the strong force.

There is no green+antigreen i.e. colorless gluon b/c the symmetry group of the strong interaction is SU(3), not U(3); if it would be U(3) = U(1)*SU(3) then there would be a color-neutral U(1) gluon which mediating a long-range force, just like the photon. But even then this gluon would not couple to a color-less particle (again like the photon which does not couple to uncharged particles like the neutrino)

Before to answer generalities, please look for the article "lepton number as the fourth colour" by Pati and friends.

tom.stoer said:
There is no green+antigreen i.e. colorless gluon
I meant pair of gluons one with color and one with anticolor charge.

Two gluons can indeed form a color-neutral pair, but this pair does not couple to a quark - only the indivudial gluons

1. Do leptons have 0 color charge or none?

Leptons have no color charge. They belong to a group of particles known as "colorless" particles, which do not interact with the strong nuclear force and therefore do not have a color charge.

2. What are leptons?

Leptons are a type of elementary particle that make up matter. They are fundamental particles that cannot be broken down into smaller particles.

3. How many types of leptons are there?

There are six types of leptons: electrons, muons, taus, and their corresponding neutrinos. Each of these particles also has an antiparticle counterpart.

4. Do leptons have mass?

Yes, leptons have mass. However, the mass of leptons is very small compared to other particles, such as protons and neutrons.

5. What are the properties of leptons?

Leptons have several properties, including mass, charge, spin, and lepton number. They also have weak interactions with other particles and participate in the weak nuclear force.