Closed form expression for sum of first m terms of a combinatorial number

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving finding a closed-form expression for the sum of the first through m-th terms of a combinatorial number. The asker is looking for help from the Physics Forums community and also provides a link for further reading on combinatorial numbers. They explain the concept and provide an example before asking for a closed-form expression. There is a discussion about the possibility of such an expression and the potential use of an algorithm. Ultimately, the feasibility of finding a closed-form solution is uncertain.
JTHM
Dear Physics Forums denizens,

I have a tricky problem that I hope one of you can help me with. (It's for a personal project, nothing to do with school.) I'm looking for a closed-form expression for the sum of the first through m-th terms of a combinatorial number. For those of you unfamiliar with combinatorial numbers, here's some useful reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combinatorial_number_system

Basically, the idea is this: for any non-negative integers k, and b, we can express the value of b as a sum of k terms of the form (r1 choose k)+(r2 choose k-1)+(r3 choose k-2)...(rk choose 1). For every t and s where t and s are non-negative integers such that t<s, it will be the case that rt>rs (this is just true by the definition of a combinatorial number).

For example, for k=5, we can express the number 36 as (7 choose 5)+(6 choose 4)+(2 choose 3)+(1 choose 2)+(0 choose 1).

Now, the sum of all five of these terms will be 36. But suppose I just want, say, the sum of the first two terms, four terms, or any arbitrary number of terms, and I don't want to exhaustively find every term and add all of them up. The question, then is this: given k, b, and m, where k is the total number of terms in the combinatorial number, b is the value of the combinatorial number, and m is the number of terms (starting with the first term) that we want to sum, what is the closed-form expression for the sum of those terms?

Admittedly, I am not certain that a closed-form expression even exists. If you can think of a reason why there might not be a closed-form expression for the above, please share it. In the eventuality that there is no closed-form expression, if you can think of a fast algorithm to find such a sum--something faster than just adding the terms individually--that would be helpful, too.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
If I correctly understand your problem and the wiki page which says in the second or third paragraph

"Indeed a greedy algorithm finds the k-combination corresponding to N: take ck maximal with (ck,k)<=n, then take ck − 1 maximal with (ck-1,k-1), and so forth."

(with my apologies for mashing the notation into ascii)

When a mathematician is reduced to writing the word "algorithm" I always assume that means there is no known explicit equation giving the result.

If you can find a closed form solution giving the first term or, even better, giving the first n of k terms then there might be a chance that this could be used to find the closed form for the sum of those terms.

But personally I wouldn't hold out much hope.

1. What is a closed form expression?

A closed form expression is a mathematical formula that can be written using a finite number of standard mathematical operations and functions. It does not require any iteration or recursion to calculate a value.

2. What is the sum of the first m terms of a combinatorial number?

The sum of the first m terms of a combinatorial number is the total number of combinations possible when choosing m items from a set of n items. It is denoted by the notation ∑mCi, where i ranges from 0 to m.

3. How is the closed form expression for the sum of first m terms of a combinatorial number derived?

The closed form expression for the sum of first m terms of a combinatorial number can be derived using the Binomial Theorem, which states that (a+b)n = ∑i=0nCiaibn-i. By substituting a=1 and b=1, we get the desired expression.

4. Why is a closed form expression important in mathematics?

A closed form expression allows us to easily and efficiently calculate the value of a mathematical formula without the need for iterative or recursive calculations. This saves time and effort and also helps in understanding the underlying patterns and relationships in a mathematical concept.

5. Are there any limitations to using closed form expressions?

Yes, there are limitations to using closed form expressions. They are not always possible to derive for every mathematical formula, and in some cases, they may not provide the most accurate results. In addition, they may become increasingly complex for more complicated mathematical concepts.