Register to reply

Why do electrons with orbitals farther from the nucleus have greater e

by MathewsMD
Tags: electrons, farther, greater, nucleus, orbitals
Share this thread:
MathewsMD
Sep16-13, 11:04 AM
P: 295
If the electrons closer to the nucleus experience greater electrostatic attraction from the nucleus, would not the closer electrons require more energy to stay in orbit? Also, the electron shielding from the inner electrons would reduce the energy required to stay farther away from the nucleus for electrons in the outer orbitals.

I just don't exactly understand what is meant by the phrase higher orbitals have higher energy.

In terms of the electrons themselves, I don't exactly understand why electrons in farther orbitals have higher energy than those closer to the nucleus Is it a precursor to being in the orbital? And if so, why?

I am currently only in introductory chemistry and physics, and have learned a little about wave functions and how the frequencies of electrons changes as n increases. A clarification on how and why the frequency changes as n increases would also be extremely helpful, along with any additional comments.

Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists discuss quantum pigeonhole principle
First in-situ images of void collapse in explosives
The first supercomputer simulations of 'spin?orbit' forces between neutrons and protons in an atomic nucleus
DaleSpam
Sep16-13, 11:12 AM
Mentor
P: 16,961
Quote Quote by MathewsMD View Post
I just don't exactly understand what is meant by the phrase higher orbitals have higher energy.
It takes work to pull an electron away from an atom. Therefore higher orbitals have higher energy.
Nugatory
Sep16-13, 11:13 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 3,455
Quote Quote by MathewsMD View Post
If the electrons closer to the nucleus experience greater electrostatic attraction from the nucleus, would not the closer electrons require more energy to stay in orbit? Also, the electron shielding from the inner electrons would reduce the energy required to stay farther away from the nucleus for electrons in the outer orbitals.

It means that energy will be released when an electron drops from a higher orbital to a lower one, and conversely that energy has to be added to push an electron into a higher orbital. That's consistent with your observation about shielding and electrostatic attraction.

dauto
Sep16-13, 04:50 PM
Thanks
P: 1,948
Why do electrons with orbitals farther from the nucleus have greater e

May be a gravitational analogy will help. Lifting an object requires energy because it is attracted by Earth's gravity. Similarly lifting an electron to a higher orbit requires energy because it is attracted by the protons in the nucleus
Khashishi
Sep16-13, 05:07 PM
P: 886
(In the usual convention), the energy of a bound electron is negative. The electrons in lower energy states are more tightly bound and have lower energies on the number line, but higher absolute value of energy.
sophiecentaur
Sep17-13, 09:50 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,919
Quote Quote by Khashishi View Post
(In the usual convention), the energy of a bound electron is negative. The electrons in lower energy states are more tightly bound and have lower energies on the number line, but higher absolute value of energy.
I think that is adding confusion. It is actually wrong. The inner electrons have a lower (i.e.more negative) potential; they have fallen deeper into the potential well of the nucleus. They require more energy for them to be released from the hold of the nucleus. That's all there is to it.

Register to reply