Can Electric Motors Revolutionize Aircraft Propulsion?

In summary, a group of individuals is working on a project involving VTOL aircraft design and propulsion through electric motors. They are seeking guidance on electric motors used in lightweight and aerobatic aircrafts and are considering using solar panels and a car engine for charging batteries. The inspiration for their project came from Agustawestland's "Project Zero" and they acknowledge that electric powered aircrafts are still behind due to battery technology. They are open to suggestions and are interested in the possibility of using turboshaft or turboprop engines. However, the feasibility of their project is questioned and they are advised to look at electric ultralights for inspiration. Other factors such as payload, energy density, and design priorities are also brought up. A
Boris Georgiev
Greetings, everyone!

A couple of my friends and i started work on a project regarding VTOL aircraft design. We are interested in the concept of propelling the air vehicle via propellers rotated by electric motors. As all of us, have relatively limited knowledge on electrical components/systems i hope some of you will be able to give me some guidance on a few electric motors used in some lightweight/aerobatic aircrafts. We are intending to dig up in this field and try to come up with a design with solar panels and probably using a car engine ( as a hybrid ) for charging batteries.

Our idea came for the so called ,,Project Zero'' of Agustawestland company. I am pretty much aware that electric powered aircraft are still far, far behind in their development when compared to gas turbines. The reason pretty much lies in the battery technology which needs to be boosted further.

Still, i believe that if we come up with a decent suggestion for propelling the machine, at least making our idea clear and stating future conditions which can make it possible we are likely to do well. This is the reason why our group did go straight at the beginning for a turboshaft/turboprop.

Thank you in advance, for any comments!

Really, hope someone will drop lines!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Was there a question in all that?

You should continue to look at how other people have been solving these problems - lightweight aircraft using electric motors are commonplace and cheap. Then, you'll be able to obtain some parameters and get an idea how they scale.

As it stands, your project is far too open to allow much useful advice.

iirc some hobbyists have even managed to make electric 'copters capable of lifting a man - following the quad-copter style of design.

One thing about hybrid and electric cars is that they use regenerative braking. That means that when you press the brake the motor becomes a generator and recharges the battery while slowing the car at the same time. You can get some really good gas/charge mileage that way.

Another thing to consider is that planes are much more efficient than VTOL's. Even the smallest autogyros pack about 100 horsepower so that they can fly. That's about 75 kW!

Every pound is going to count and you mentioned a hybrid style engine. It's going to be heavier than a purely electric or gas motor and that will cut down on your flight time.

Electric powered ultralights are becoming popular. We had an airshow where I work and I saw many of them. The coolest thing about them to me was that they were so quiet. Also, if they run out of charge they can still glide to a landing.

I'm sorry to be so critical. It's an interesting idea. I hope you can make it work. I think a good place to start would be looking at electric ultralights. I'm sure their engines were picked to be light-weight and efficient.

There was a recent successful flight of a human powered helicopter, winning the $250,000 Sikorsky prize.
So it is possible to do VTOL with less than a horsepower. It is just that the winning design is impractical for normal use.
To build a practical unit requires ruthless design priorities, starting with the payload, which sizes the design.
To allocate payload on solar panels and chargers is an unaffordable luxury for a first model. Ditto auxiliary power plants. If the design is to be electric, use batteries. Using a combustion engine to drive a generator to drive an electric motor just adds weight and cost. Stay focused on your goal, electric VTOL flight. Anything else is a distraction that simply wastes time and money.

Google for energy density, that's a term you will need to be familiar with.

1. What is an electric motor and how does it work in aircrafts?

An electric motor is a device that converts electrical energy into mechanical energy. It works in aircrafts by using the power supplied from the aircraft's batteries to turn a propeller, generating thrust and allowing the aircraft to move forward.

2. What are the benefits of using electric motors in aircrafts?

There are several benefits of using electric motors in aircrafts, including lower emissions, reduced noise pollution, and increased efficiency. Electric motors also have fewer moving parts, making them less prone to mechanical failures and reducing maintenance costs.

3. Can electric motors be used as the sole power source for an aircraft?

Currently, most aircrafts that use electric motors still require a backup source of power, such as a traditional combustion engine. However, there are ongoing developments and advancements in battery technology that may eventually allow for fully electric aircrafts in the future.

4. How do electric motors in aircrafts differ from those used in other forms of transportation?

Electric motors used in aircrafts are specifically designed to be lightweight and efficient, as these are crucial factors in flight. They also require specialized cooling systems to prevent overheating at high altitudes and to maintain optimal performance.

5. What are the current challenges and limitations of using electric motors in aircrafts?

One of the main challenges is the limited energy storage capacity of batteries, which can affect the range and flight time of electric aircrafts. Another limitation is the high cost of developing and implementing electric motor technology in aircrafts, although this is expected to decrease as technology advances.