Evaluate Used Wittig W2022 Scope - Ideas & Procedures

• Thread starter Windadct
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scope
In summary, the Wittig W2022 scope is a high precision item and you will need a higher precision DVM to make accurate measurements. The scope has no measurement capabilities of its own, you will need to use the built in probes or an external signal source to measure the scope's performance.
Windadct
Hello PF'ers...

I just picked up a Wittig W2022 Scope on E-bay.

I would like to give it a thorough evaluation, however, this is to be the highest precision item on the bench - does anyone have some good ideas or procedures for running this through its paces?

Perhaps even an eval form?

Thanks!
Paul

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Windact

have you got or have tried to get a service manual for it ?
if not you could try here ebaman

he has masses of manuals for all sorts of gear
A manual is at least going to give you the specs the scope should be able to achieve
(taking its age/amount of use into account)

a decent quality audio sig-gen/function generator with calibrated level output
would be an essential signal source for testing any scope's performance

cheers
Dave

Windadct said:
Hello PF'ers...

I just picked up a Wittig W2022 Scope on E-bay.

I would like to give it a thorough evaluation, however, this is to be the highest precision item on the bench - does anyone have some good ideas or procedures for running this through its paces?

Perhaps even an eval form?

Thanks!
Paul

You should have a DVM that is higher precision, at least for DC measurements and sine wave RMS measurements... :smile:

Compare the DC accuracy against your DVM using your DC power supply. Then use an AC square wave source to be sure that you can compensate the 'scope probes to flat signal response.

Does the 'scope have any measurement capabilities of its own, or is it all visual measurements made by you?

Yes - I'll download the manuals- I and many have some self cal, my DMM is OK - but a few features like bandwith would be tricky.

I was thinking of something like comparing VI curve for a few standard, signal diodes. Their performance should be pretty consistent. Many times when you look at cal you are checking each parameter at once, but IMO many of the digital devices, there are often one or two "tests" that can confirm that pretty much everything is working.

Another woud be Square Wave response - both unfiltered and then filtered. By overlapping results of different test - shortcomings of the test equipment can be ruled out and attributed to the UUT.

Just thinking out loud

Also - thanks for the firmware project - it looks interesting - probably the most common issue/complaint with low end scopes is the software, but in general all software projects are far more difficult then consumers ( and many manufactures) understand. So I want / Need the PC connection - but will see how well the OEMs works and then check the FW Project out.

1. What is the condition of the used Wittig W2022 scope?

The condition of the used Wittig W2022 scope can vary depending on the seller and how well it has been maintained. It is important to thoroughly inspect the scope before purchasing to ensure it is in good working condition.

2. How do I evaluate the quality of the used Wittig W2022 scope?

To evaluate the quality of the used Wittig W2022 scope, you should check for any physical damage or defects, test its functionality, and compare it to the manufacturer's specifications. You can also ask the seller for more information or for a demonstration of the scope's capabilities.

3. What should I consider before purchasing a used Wittig W2022 scope?

Before purchasing a used Wittig W2022 scope, you should consider your specific needs and requirements, the reputation and reliability of the seller, the condition of the scope, and the price. It is also important to make sure the scope is compatible with your existing equipment and research objectives.

4. Are there any potential risks associated with buying a used Wittig W2022 scope?

There are potential risks associated with buying a used Wittig W2022 scope, such as receiving a damaged or malfunctioning scope, not getting all the necessary components or accessories, or not receiving accurate information about the scope's condition. It is important to thoroughly research the seller and inspect the scope before purchasing to minimize these risks.

5. How can I ensure I am getting a fair price for the used Wittig W2022 scope?

To ensure you are getting a fair price for the used Wittig W2022 scope, you can research the average market value for similar scopes, compare prices from different sellers, and negotiate with the seller if possible. You should also consider the condition and functionality of the scope when determining its value.