Chemical reaction of electrochemical etching

In summary: The only sure way is to research the reaction products and mechanism, but that can be quite demanding.
krik krik krik
Greetings all,

I have some questions regarding to chemical reaction between Silicon,Si (wafer) and chemical dissolution. FYI, I'm doing electrochemical ething to fabricate porous Si. Could anyone help me to solve this chemical reactions?

1) Si (silicon wafer) + HF (hydroflouric acid)+ C2H5OH(ethanol) = ?

2) Si + HF + C2H5OH + H202 (hydrogen peroxide)= ?

3) Si + HF + (CH3)2NC(O)H (dimethylformamide)= ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hopefully somebody can correct me if I'm wrong. This is what I've found :

1) Si (silicon wafer) + HF (hydroflouric acid)+ C2H5OH(ethanol) = H2SiF6+ C2H6 + H2O + H2

2) Si + HF + C2H5OH + H202 (hydrogen peroxide)= H2SiF6+ C2H5F + H2O+ H2O2+H2

3) Si + HF + (CH3)2NC(O)H (dimethylformamide)= H2SiF6 + (CH3)2NCF + H2O+H2

To be honest chemistry is not my field. Any suggestion/comment? The equations is not balance at all.

Thanks.

My bet is that neither ethanol nor DMF take part in the reaction, they are just spectators/solvents.

Likes 1 person
Borek said:
My bet is that neither ethanol nor DMF take part in the reaction, they are just spectators/solvents.

Thanks for the suggestion. But from my point of view, these organic solvent plays an important role for uniformity and well-define shapes of my porous structure. Either ethanol or DMF gives us different morphology of porous Si. Sort of 'tricky' reaction involved in this etching process that i investigate with.

What say you?:smile:

No contradiction here. Different solvents can stabilize different forms of products and intermediates, so the final morphology of the product can be different. It doesn't mean basic reaction equation is different.

Borek said:
No contradiction here. Different solvents can stabilize different forms of products and intermediates, so the final morphology of the product can be different. It doesn't mean basic reaction equation is different.

Oh yeah? So, that's mean ethanol and DMF just stabilized the products to gives different type of morphology! Thanks for the explanation. Very pleased indeed.

krik krik krik said:
Oh yeah? So, that's mean ethanol and DMF just stabilized the products to gives different type of morphology!

Note: all I am saying is that what you observe doesn't call for completely different reactions.

The only sure way is to research the reaction products and mechanism, but that can be quite demanding.

1. What is electrochemical etching?

Electrochemical etching is a process in which an electric current is used to remove material from a metal surface, creating a desired design or pattern. This is achieved by immersing the metal in an electrolyte solution and applying a direct current through an electrode to the metal surface.

2. What are the main components involved in electrochemical etching?

The main components involved in electrochemical etching include the metal to be etched, an electrolyte solution, and two electrodes - one connected to the metal and the other connected to a power source. The power source can be a battery or a rectifier.

3. What are the advantages of electrochemical etching?

Electrochemical etching has several advantages over traditional etching methods. It is a low-cost process, requires minimal equipment, and can be done on a variety of metals. It also produces precise and consistent results, and the etching depth can be easily controlled.

4. What are the applications of electrochemical etching?

Electrochemical etching is commonly used in the production of metal plates, nameplates, and signs. It is also used in the automotive industry for marking parts, as well as in the aerospace industry for etching identification numbers on aircraft components. Additionally, it is used in the medical field for creating surgical instruments and implants.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using electrochemical etching?

Yes, it is important to take proper safety precautions when using electrochemical etching. The electrolyte solution can be corrosive and may cause skin and eye irritation, so it is important to wear protective gear such as gloves and goggles. It is also important to work in a well-ventilated area and to properly dispose of the electrolyte solution after use.