Chemical reaction of electrochemical etching

by krik krik krik
Tags: chemical, electrochemical, etching, reaction
Share this thread:
krik krik krik
Jun23-14, 09:28 PM
P: 5
Greetings all,

I have some questions regarding to chemical reaction between Silicon,Si (wafer) and chemical dissolution. FYI, i'm doing electrochemical ething to fabricate porous Si. Could anyone help me to solve this chemical reactions?

1) Si (silicon wafer) + HF (hydroflouric acid)+ C2H5OH(ethanol) = ?

2) Si + HF + C2H5OH + H202 (hydrogen peroxide)= ?

3) Si + HF + (CH3)2NC(O)H (dimethylformamide)= ?

Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Sapphire talk enlivens guesswork over iPhone 6
Geneticists offer clues to better rice, tomato crops
UConn makes 3-D copies of antique instrument parts
krik krik krik
Jun24-14, 10:52 PM
Hopefully somebody can correct me if i'm wrong. This is what i've found :

1) Si (silicon wafer) + HF (hydroflouric acid)+ C2H5OH(ethanol) = H2SiF6+ C2H6 + H2O + H2

2) Si + HF + C2H5OH + H202 (hydrogen peroxide)= H2SiF6+ C2H5F + H2O+ H2O2+H2

3) Si + HF + (CH3)2NC(O)H (dimethylformamide)= H2SiF6 + (CH3)2NCF + H2O+H2

To be honest chemistry is not my field. Any suggestion/comment? The equations is not balance at all.

Thanks.
Borek
Jun25-14, 02:43 AM
Admin
P: 23,369
My bet is that neither ethanol nor DMF take part in the reaction, they are just spectators/solvents.

krik krik krik
Jun26-14, 08:31 PM
Chemical reaction of electrochemical etching

Quote Quote by Borek View Post
My bet is that neither ethanol nor DMF take part in the reaction, they are just spectators/solvents.
Thanks for the suggestion. But from my point of view, these organic solvent plays an important role for uniformity and well-define shapes of my porous structure. Either ethanol or DMF gives us different morphology of porous Si. Sort of 'tricky' reaction involved in this etching process that i investigate with.

What say you?
Borek
Jun27-14, 01:43 AM
Admin
No contradiction here. Different solvents can stabilize different forms of products and intermediates, so the final morphology of the product can be different. It doesn't mean basic reaction equation is different.
krik krik krik
Jun27-14, 02:58 AM
Quote Quote by Borek View Post
No contradiction here. Different solvents can stabilize different forms of products and intermediates, so the final morphology of the product can be different. It doesn't mean basic reaction equation is different.
Oh yeah? So, that's mean ethanol and DMF just stabilized the products to gives different type of morphology! Thanks for the explanation. Very pleased indeed.
Borek
Jun27-14, 03:37 AM
Admin
Quote Quote by krik krik krik View Post
Oh yeah? So, that's mean ethanol and DMF just stabilized the products to gives different type of morphology!
Note: all I am saying is that what you observe doesn't call for completely different reactions.

The only sure way is to research the reaction products and mechanism, but that can be quite demanding.

Register to reply