Bohr's atomic model and Bohr and Rydberg equations

In summary, the conversation discusses the Bohr's atomic model and its equations, as well as the "shaking down" of this model. The conversation also mentions the Bohr Sommerfeld model and the hidden symmetry of the hydrogen atom which explains the similarity between the classical and quantum mechanical behavior of the system. The mathematical statement of the Bohr Sommerfeld model remains intact due to the asymptotic WKB approximation and the quantization rule.
Nick Jackson
Hello,
well, I am totally new to this section of physics so my question may sound ridiculous, but here it is:
When I was reading about the Bohr's atomic model, I learned about the Bohr and Rydberg equations (E=-2,18*10^18*Z^2/n^2 J and 1/λ=RZ^2(1/n1^2-1/n2^2) as well as their proofs. Then I read about the "shaking down" of this atomic model (please excuse my terrible english, I am greek) which I understand but, when I asked a couple of physicists, they told me that the equations remain and just show the largest possibility of an electron to be in that place. Now I get that too. What I don't get is HOW these equations remain intact. I mean the proof uses the assumption that the electron does angular motion and makes use of the formulae Fc=mv^2/r and L=Iω. However, we know now for sure that for l>0 (the azimuthal quantum number) the shape of the orbital discards the theory of the circle orbits.
Every suggestion is welcome!
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't give you a completely satisfactory answer to your question, but only two remarks:
1. There is an extension of the Bohr model, the Bohr Sommerfeld model where orbits are no longer circular but elliptical depending on angular momentum.
2. The hydrogen atom (or more generally the problem of Keplerian orbits) has a high but somewhat hidden symmetry, SO(4) which is related to the fact that the Runge Lenz vector is a constant of motion. This symmetry dictates most of both the classical and quantum mechanical behaviour of the system. Hence the two lead to remarkably similar conclusions.
You may have a look at this
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/classical/runge_pro.pdf

DrDu said:
I can't give you a completely satisfactory answer to your question, but only two remarks:
1. There is an extension of the Bohr model, the Bohr Sommerfeld model where orbits are no longer circular but elliptical depending on angular momentum.
2. The hydrogen atom (or more generally the problem of Keplerian orbits) has a high but somewhat hidden symmetry, SO(4) which is related to the fact that the Runge Lenz vector is a constant of motion. This symmetry dictates most of both the classical and quantum mechanical behaviour of the system. Hence the two lead to remarkably similar conclusions.
You may have a look at this
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/classical/runge_pro.pdf

Thank you very much for your answer, it has been very helpful and the expansion of the Bohr's model answers many of my questions in general. Unfortunately, even with the resource you provided me with, I can't conclude why the mathematical statement stays intact...
Thanks very much anyway! :)

Mathematically, the Bohr Sommerfeld quantization rule can be derived using the asymptotic WKB approximation to the Schroedinger equation. From this one would expect the energy levels to come out right for high principal quantum numbers n. That this quantization is in fact exact for all n is quite a peculiarity of the hygrogen problem. In the quantization of other systems, the Bohr Sommerfeld quantization is usually not exact.

1. What is Bohr's atomic model?

Bohr's atomic model, also known as the Bohr model, is a simplified representation of the structure of an atom proposed by Danish physicist Niels Bohr in 1913. It suggests that electrons orbit the nucleus in specific energy levels, and that these levels are quantized, meaning the electrons can only exist at certain energy levels and not in between.

2. How does Bohr's atomic model explain the emission spectrum of atoms?

Bohr's atomic model explains the emission spectrum of atoms by proposing that as electrons move between different energy levels, they either absorb or emit energy in the form of photons. These photons have specific wavelengths, which correspond to different colors in the visible spectrum. This is why each element has a unique emission spectrum.

3. What are the Bohr and Rydberg equations?

The Bohr and Rydberg equations are mathematical equations used to calculate the energy levels and wavelengths of the spectral lines in an atom. The Bohr equation calculates the energy of an electron at a specific energy level, while the Rydberg equation calculates the wavelengths of the spectral lines based on the energy levels of an atom.

4. How did Bohr's model improve upon previous atomic models?

Bohr's atomic model improved upon previous models by incorporating the concept of quantized energy levels, which explained why atoms emit light at specific wavelengths. It also provided a more accurate representation of the structure of atoms by proposing that electrons orbit the nucleus in discrete and defined orbits, rather than in a continuous cloud.

5. Is Bohr's atomic model still relevant today?

While Bohr's atomic model has been superseded by more advanced models, it is still relevant today as it laid the foundation for our understanding of atomic structure and helped explain many important phenomena, such as the emission spectrum of atoms. It is still taught in introductory chemistry and physics courses and is an important part of the history of atomic theory.