Why is the hyperbola round at the bottom?

• Thread starter davidbenari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hyperbola
In summary: The graph of a hyperbola is not smooth at the vertices, which can be seen by zooming in on these points.In summary, the hyperbola is round at the bottom because of its equation, which behaves like a line at infinity but becomes round at the bottom. Answering the why question may be difficult as it depends on the desired level of explanation and understanding. However, we can provide a formal proof of roundness or explain it through concepts such as curvature and smoothness.
davidbenari
My question is somewhat dumb but for some reason I haven't been able to come up with an answer.

Why is the hyperbola round at the bottom? Namely, I'm thinking of any of these two equations x^2-y^2=1 or y^2-x^2=1

These two behave like a line as you approach infinity but then becomes round at the bottom. Why do they behave roundy at the bottom?

edit: I completely understand why this must be the case if I consider the hyperbola as a conic section. But I'm specifically talking about the equation for a hyperbola.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
What kind of answer would you expect to this why question?

Why questions are difficult to answer, because I don't know what answer you want. Is just graphing it with a calculator enough reason for you? Presumably not? Do you want a formal proof of roundness? What does roundness mean anyway?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLoNA9lMb6A

Likes 1 person
If we consider ##y^2 = x^2 + 1##, and constrain ##y > 0## (the upper branch of the hypberbola), then this is equivalent to
$$y = \sqrt{x^2 + 1}$$
or equivalently
$$\begin{align}
y-1 &= \sqrt{x^2 + 1} - 1\\
&= (\sqrt{x^2 + 1} - 1)\left(\frac{\sqrt{x^2 + 1} + 1}{\sqrt{x^2 + 1} + 1}\right) \\
&= \frac{x^2}{\sqrt{x^2 + 1} + 1}\\
\end{align}$$
For small ##x##, the denominator is approximately ##2##, so we get
$$y - 1 \approx \frac{x^2}{2}$$
or
$$y \approx \frac{x^2}{2} + 1$$
In other words, for small ##x##, the shape is approximately parabolic.

Likes 2 people
For small x you could simply begin to expand [itex] y = \sqrt{\, x^2 + 1} [/itex] with the general binomial theorem and get the same result.

Last edited:
statdad said:
For small x you could simply begin to expand [itex] y = \sqrt{\, x^2 + 1} [/itex] with the general binomial theorem and get the same result.
Or equivalently, compute the Taylor series. I wasn't sure how much background the OP had, though.

By the way, just to add to my previous post, if we're uneasy about how much error we introduce by approximating the denominator as ##2##, this can be quantified more precisely. For example, for ##-1/2 \leq x \leq 1/2## we have ##0 \leq x^2 \leq 1/4## and so
$$2 \leq \sqrt{x^2 + 1} + 1 \leq \sqrt{5/4} + 1 \approx 2.118$$
Therefore for ##-1/2 \leq x \leq 1/2##, we can bound (the upper branch of) the hyperbola above and below by two parabolas:
$$\frac{x^2}{2.118} \leq y-1 \leq \frac{x^2}{2}$$
or equivalently,
$$\frac{x^2}{2.118} + 1 \leq y \leq \frac{x^2}{2} + 1$$

If the OP knows some calculus, here are a couple of concepts which may be of interest:

curvature - roughly speaking, measures "roundness" at each point on a curve by identifying a circle which most closely matches the curve at that point. Smaller radius = higher curvature, and vice versa. A circle has constant curvature at every point, so one way to express the notion that a curve is "round" in some region would be to compute the curvature in that region and find that it is relatively constant (and nonzero).

smoothness - another measure of how well behaved the curve is: "smooth" = free of "corners" or other sudden behaviors

Last edited:

1. Why is the hyperbola round at the bottom?

The hyperbola is round at the bottom because of its mathematical equation. The equation for a hyperbola involves dividing by the variable x, which results in a curve that becomes more and more flat as it approaches the x-axis. This creates the round shape at the bottom of the hyperbola.

2. Is there a specific reason why the hyperbola is round at the bottom?

Yes, the round shape at the bottom of the hyperbola is a result of its mathematical properties. The equation for a hyperbola involves two branches that are symmetrical and approach the x-axis in a curved manner, creating the round shape at the bottom.

3. Can the hyperbola be flat at the bottom?

No, the hyperbola cannot be flat at the bottom because of its mathematical equation. As mentioned before, the equation involves dividing by the variable x, which inherently creates a curved shape at the bottom. Even if the equation is manipulated, it will always result in a round shape at the bottom.

4. How does the shape of the hyperbola affect its functionality?

The round shape at the bottom of the hyperbola is important for its functionality. It allows the hyperbola to have two branches that are symmetrical and approach the x-axis in a smooth and continuous manner. This makes it useful in various mathematical applications, such as in conic sections and hyperbolic functions.

5. Can the roundness at the bottom of a hyperbola be changed?

No, the roundness at the bottom of a hyperbola cannot be changed without altering its mathematical properties. As mentioned before, the round shape is a result of its equation, and any changes to the equation will result in a different shape. However, different values for the constants in the equation can affect the overall shape of the hyperbola.