How Does Styrofoam React with Different Liquids?

In summary, the conversation discusses the observations of a person who has noticed tiny specks of their drink on the outside of a new styrofoam cup after it was poured 15 minutes ago. They question whether the styrofoam is leaking and if it will eventually leak regardless of the drink put in it. The possibility of the acid from the coke causing the styrofoam to melt faster is also considered, as well as the potential effects of bourbon on the styrofoam. It is also questioned whether styrofoam has any characteristics that cause liquid to "cling" to it. Some possible explanations for the observations are offered, including the suggestion to test drinking acetone as a way to quickly melt the styrofo
jhe1984
Applied Chemistry Question :)

Ok,

My roomate poured me a Weller (bourbon) and Coke in a new styrofoam cup. About 15 minutes later, I noticed that all along the bottom-most sections (and on the entire bottom) of the cup, the cup had tiny specks of the drink on the outside of the bottom (and to a lesser extent, the lower sides). But the specks apparently weren't large/strong enough to fall off the cup (like happens sometimes with soft drinks, etc.,).

My questions is thus:

Obviously the styrofoam is leaking to some degree. But will the cup ultimately leak no what (drinkable) substance is put in (including plain water)?

If so, does the Coke and or the bourbon speed up the disintegration of the Stryofroam?? Why?

My thought is that the acid from the Coke causes the Stryofoam to melt faster. I am not sure if bourbon (or any liquor for that matter) is acidic, so that could also account for a lot of the disintegration, but maybe not.

Finally, does styrofoam have any particular characteristics that cause the liquid to "cling" to its counterparts inside the cup [or possibly the cup itself]? Why?

Any and all thoughts are much appreciated. Thanks!

*Not a HW question

Chemistry news on Phys.org
If your coke causes the styrofoam to 'melt', you wouldn't have a cup in the end would you? I don't believe diffusion happens that quickly (i.e. 15 minutes) to be observable anyway, not to mention it would evaporate by that time. What I would suspect is simply a macroscopic hole/leak in your cup or simply condensation.

The most probably way you are going to melt that styrofoam cup would be to drink some acetone.

comopunds of hydrocarbon nature dissolve to a certain extent in styrofoam (polystyrene), maybe not so much of coke, it's probably the bourbon

1. What is applied chemistry?

Applied chemistry is the branch of chemistry that focuses on the practical applications of chemical knowledge and principles to real-world problems and industries. It involves using chemical processes and techniques to develop new products, improve existing ones, and solve practical problems.

2. What are some examples of applied chemistry?

Examples of applied chemistry include the development of new medicines and pharmaceuticals, the creation of new materials for construction and manufacturing, and the production of agricultural chemicals such as fertilizers and pesticides. It also encompasses areas such as environmental chemistry, food science, and forensic chemistry.

3. How is applied chemistry different from other branches of chemistry?

Applied chemistry differs from other branches of chemistry in that it focuses on the practical applications and uses of chemistry, rather than just the theoretical or fundamental aspects. It also often involves collaborations with other fields such as engineering, biology, and materials science.

4. What skills are needed for a career in applied chemistry?

To succeed in applied chemistry, one needs a strong foundation in chemistry principles and techniques, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It is also important to have good communication and teamwork abilities, as well as a willingness to continuously learn and adapt to new technologies and developments in the field.

5. What are some current developments in applied chemistry?

Some current developments in applied chemistry include the exploration of new sustainable materials and processes, the development of new drug delivery systems, and the use of artificial intelligence and machine learning in chemical research. Additionally, there is a growing focus on green chemistry practices and reducing the environmental impact of chemical industries.