Any computational chemists have any advice?

In summary: It'll be a bit more intensive, but it should still be doable on a modern computer.Thanks for the heads up!In summary, the QST2 calc runs fine and finds 1 imaginary frequency resulting in a transition state that appears reasonable. However, when I pick points to the "left" and "right" of the transition state structure and optimize them back down, I find that the 1 optimized strucutre matches exactly to the input strucuture I originally put in, even in total energy. The structure to the "left" of the transition state optimizes back down but results in a structure that is similar to the original input structure but is off by almost 6kcal/mol in energy to my original input structure.
gravenewworld
I am trying to do a QST2 calculation on two geometry optimized structures that I obtained by doing DFT calcs. The QST2 calc runs fine and finds 1 imaginary frequency resulting in a transition state that appears reasonable. However, when I pick points to the "left" and "right" of the transition state structure and optimize them back down, I find that the 1 optimized strucutre matches exactly to the input strucuture I originally put in, even in total energy. The structure to the "left" of the transition state optimizes back down but results in a structure that is similar to the original input structure but is off by almost 6kcal/mol in energy to my original input structure. Are there any alternatives to the QST2 calc that can be done in order to find transition states between 2 optimized geometries? Are there any tricks I can do in order to get the geometry to the "left" of the transition state to optimize back down to my original input structure (energy wise)? BTW I am currently using gaussian to do the calcs.

-Thanks, GNW.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I also just found a journal article by a guy from Yale who uses the B3LYP/6-31++G** basis set for calculations involving lithium containing organic compounds. Is anyone familiar with using this basis set and what kind of results did you get? Will this take much longer than a DFT calc (or any idea of how much cpu power this will chew up)? The reaction I am trying to optimize is the is a Biphenylene ring, which when introduced to Li2, opens up to give biphenyl. One structure I have tried to optimize is the Biphenylene system with 2 Lithiums exactly over the center the biphenylene, with 1 lithium on top and the other on the bottom.

I think that basis set is pretty standard for computational chemistry. It's going to be a lot more intensive than a standard DFT calculation. The results will be better, but it's going to take longer and require more CPU power.

Great, my worst suspicions came true. The computer I am using is a 10 year old Mac. The DFT calcs took several days, the 6-31g++** calcs will probably take a week :grumpy: .

Yeah, sorry to break the news, but that's probably about right.

1. What is computational chemistry?

Computational chemistry is a branch of chemistry that uses computer simulations and mathematical models to study and understand chemical systems. It combines principles from chemistry, physics, and computer science to predict and explain the behavior of molecules and materials.

2. What are the benefits of using computational chemistry?

Computational chemistry can provide valuable insights into chemical systems that are difficult or impossible to observe in a laboratory setting. It allows for faster and cheaper experimentation, as well as the ability to test a wide range of conditions and parameters. It can also aid in the design of new molecules and materials with desired properties.

3. What skills are necessary for a career in computational chemistry?

A strong background in chemistry, mathematics, and computer science is essential for a career in computational chemistry. Proficiency in programming languages, such as Python and C++, is also important. Additionally, critical thinking, problem-solving, and attention to detail are key skills for success in this field.

4. What software and tools are commonly used in computational chemistry?

Some commonly used software and tools in computational chemistry include molecular modeling programs (such as Gaussian and VMD), molecular dynamics simulation software (such as GROMACS and AMBER), and quantum chemistry packages (such as NWChem and ORCA). Other important tools include programming languages and data analysis software.

5. What are some current applications of computational chemistry?

Computational chemistry has numerous applications in various fields such as drug discovery, materials design, and environmental studies. It is also used to investigate chemical reactions, molecular properties, and protein structures. Additionally, it plays a crucial role in the development of new technologies and advancements in fields such as energy production and nanotechnology.