Help With Chemical Bonding Worksheet

In summary, the conversation discusses the topics of chemical bonding, matter and energy, ions, ionization, electron affinity, covalent bonds, valence electrons, and the use of the periodic table to determine the number of valence electrons. The participants also mention a specific worksheet they are both working on, and reveal that they are both taking the same course through an online school called FLVS.
AngelShare
I just started a worksheet and wanted to check the answers I've gotten thus far and ask for a bit of help with the ones I'm stuck on.:smile:

[What's bolded is my answer.]

A chemical bond is an attractive force that holds atoms together.

Chemical bonding is the process of atoms combining to form new substances.

Matter tends to exist in its lowest energy state.

A(n) I just realized how stupid my answer was so strike that:rofl: is a bond in which one atom donates electrons to another atom.

Ions are atoms with positive or negative charges.

Ionization is the process of removing electrons from atoms to form ions.

Electron affinity is the tendency of an atom to gain electrons when forming bonds.

A bond in which atoms share electrons is called a covalent bond.

Which has more valence electrons? Potassium or Oxygen. Potassium

How many valence electrons does the following element have: Cesium

Could someone explain to me how to use the periodic table to figure out how many valence electrons each element has?:smile:

1.How many valence electrons does the following element have: Oxygen

2. Name one element that oxygen would form an ionic bond with.

I could probably figure this out on my own once someone explains to me how to do the previous question.:smile:

Describe the process of how an ionic bond forms. You should discuss the types of atoms involved (metals or non-metals) as well as the electrons involved.

All I know is that ionic bonds occur between (At least I think I know) metals and nonmetals.

Describe the process of how a covalent bond forms. You should discuss the types of atoms involved (metals or non-metals) as well as the electrons involved.

Same thing here...they form between nonmetals, right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
AngelShare said:
Could someone explain to me how to use the periodic table to figure out how many valence electrons each element has?
What is a valence electron?

To use the periodic table for determining the number of valence electrons, I'll give a hint: it has to do with the column (synonym: family or group) an element is in. You can see what I mean in this http://web.jjay.cuny.edu/~acarpi/NSC/4-pertab.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
AngelShare said:
A(n) I just realized how stupid my answer was so strike that:rofl: is a bond in which one atom donates electrons to another atom.
An ionic bond :smile:
Ions are atoms with positive or negative charges.
Ions atoms and molecules that possesses a "positive or negative" charge.
Ionization is the process of removing electrons from atoms to form ions.
It is not necessarily an oxidative process. Removing an electron (oxidizing) from a neutral sodium atom (i.e., [tex]1s^2 2s^2 2p^6 3s^1[/tex]) results in a sodium cation (i.e., [tex]\text{Na} ^ {+}[/tex] with electron configuration [tex]1s^2 2s^2 2p^6[/tex], as that of neon). Similarly, adding an electron (reducing) to a neutral fluorine atom (i.e., [tex]1s^2 2s^2 2p^5[/tex]) results in a fluorine anion (i.e., [tex]\text{F} ^ {-}[/tex] with electron configuration [tex]1s^2 2s^2 2p^6[/tex], as that of neon). You see, ionization includes both oxidation and reduction.
Which has more valence electrons? Potassium or Oxygen. Potassium
Potassium: [tex] 1s^2 2s^2 2p^6 3s^2 3p^6 4s^1 [/tex]
Oxygen: [tex] 1s^2 2s^2 2p^4 [/tex]

Valence (outermost) electrons belong to the highest quantum level orbital(s) of atom. Valence of potassium is [tex]4s^1[/tex]; valence of oxygen is [tex]2s^2 2p^4 [/tex]. As you can see, potassium has just one valence electron, whereas oxygen has 2 + 4 = 6 valence electrons. Hence, oxygen has more valence electrons than potassium. If you wish, you can emphasize valency by rewriting as:

Potassium: [tex] \left[ {{\text{Ar}}} \right]4s^1 [/tex]
Oxygen: [tex] \left[ {{\text{He}}} \right]2s^2 2p^4 [/tex]
Cesium (Cs): [tex] 1s^2 2s^2 2p^6 3s^2 3p^6 4s^2 4p^6 5s^2 5p^6 6s^1[/tex].
Or equivalently, you can express
Cesium: [tex]\left[ {{\text{Xe}}} \right]6s^1[/tex]

As you can see, cesium (like all alkali metals) has just one valence electon.
1.How many valence electrons does the following element have: Oxygen
2. Name one element that oxygen would form an ionic bond with.
1) Oxygen is [tex] 1s^2 2s^2 2p^4 [/tex], equivalently written [tex] \left[ {{\text{He}}} \right]2s^2 2p^4 [/tex]. Since 2 + 4 = 6, an oxygen atom has six valence electrons (as its highest quantum level is 2).

2) Good old iron...:rolleyes:, rusty, rusty, iron :wink:
-------------------
I reply later to the other questions
(later I'll have more time to offer help :smile:)

Last edited:
Wow, you went right over my head there.:rofl:

I have what I need now but one question still has me stumped...

A(n) ________ is a bond in which one atom donates electrons to another atom.

I can't tell if I'm missing something or if the question is worded incorrectly.

ionic bond

valence electrons

Valence electrons are the electrons in the outermost (or last) energy level of the atom. yup

ahhh!

and omg I've got the same exact worksheet as you! woo!

xxemeraldsxx said:
and omg I've got the same exact worksheet as you! woo!

Really?:eek: Do you go to a public school?:smile:

ahhh!

AngelShare said:
Really?:eek: Do you go to a public school?:smile:

mmm nope i do mine online at flvs.net. but i swear i was working on that same worksheet last night. :zzz:

So do I.:wink:

Well, I used to anyways. I had to take a course through FLVS because CPDLF didn't offer it.

Last edited:
It is Worksheet 3.04 to be exact. I am also taking that course. :rolleyes: Small World:rolleyes:

1. What is chemical bonding?

Chemical bonding is the process by which atoms combine to form molecules or compounds. It involves the sharing or transfer of electrons between atoms to achieve a more stable configuration.

2. Why is understanding chemical bonding important?

Understanding chemical bonding is important because it helps us understand the properties and behavior of substances. It also allows us to predict how different substances will interact with each other and how they will react in different conditions.

3. What are the different types of chemical bonds?

The three main types of chemical bonds are ionic, covalent, and metallic bonds. Ionic bonds involve the transfer of electrons between atoms, covalent bonds involve the sharing of electrons between atoms, and metallic bonds involve the sharing of electrons between a lattice of positively charged ions.

4. How do you determine the type of chemical bond in a molecule?

The type of chemical bond in a molecule can be determined by looking at the electronegativity difference between the atoms involved. If the difference is greater than 1.7, it is considered an ionic bond. If the difference is between 0.5 and 1.7, it is considered a polar covalent bond. If the difference is less than 0.5, it is considered a nonpolar covalent bond.

5. How does the octet rule relate to chemical bonding?

The octet rule states that atoms tend to gain, lose, or share electrons to achieve a stable configuration with eight valence electrons. Chemical bonding occurs when atoms interact to achieve this stable configuration, either by gaining, losing, or sharing electrons with other atoms.