Burning Paper on Open Fires - What are the Red Hot Threads?

In summary, when burning paper on an open fire, a carbonized sheet is left behind with red hot threads occasionally traveling along it. This effect is more noticeable with certain types of paper, such as heavy bond paper versus newspaper. It is believed that there are two separate flame fronts involving different components, such as the sizing burning off first and then the paper itself catching fire. Another factor could be the presence of fibers inside the paper, which may take longer to ignite. This could explain why even on a hot and roaring fire, the paper sheet may stay intact for several minutes before the fibers ignite and create streaks of fire.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
A thing i have noticed when burning paper on an open fire, the paper has
burnt, and left a carbonized sheet, every so often a red hot thin thread
travels along it, even on a very hot roaring fire the sheet will stay intact for
several minutes, but what are these red hot threads burning.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've noticed the same effect a couple of times, Woolie. Some materials seem more prone to it than others (ie: heavy bond paper vs. newspaper, etc.). Although I don't really know, I suspect that you have two separate flame fronts involving different components. The sizing, for instance, might burn off first, giving the impression that the paper itself is on fire, and then the paper does catch and creates the second wave. The other thing that comes to mind is that there might be fibres inside, particularly with high linen content paper, that take longer to ignite. I hope that someone here has a more expert answer, because now you've got me curious.

mine is a guess as well. i feel that there are two parts to any variety of paper being takem into consideration. newsprint having the least fibre content while high linen paper such as those used for developing photos have a lot more. thus when subjected to the entity of fire, the carbon content ignites to the heat it is subjected to and the burnt carbon is still held together by the fibres. hence they stay intact even after having been burnt black. it is now that the temperature is high enough for the fibric contents to ignite and display the streaks of fire on the paper.

1. What causes paper to turn into red hot threads when burned on an open fire?

When paper is burned on an open fire, the heat from the fire breaks down the cellulose and lignin molecules in the paper. These molecules release gases that react with oxygen in the air to form carbon dioxide, water vapor, and heat. The heat causes the remaining solid carbon to glow, giving off a red glow.

2. Is burning paper on an open fire safe?

Burning paper on an open fire can be dangerous if proper precautions are not taken. Paper can release toxic fumes when burned, so it is important to burn paper in a well-ventilated area. Additionally, hot ashes and embers can easily start a fire if not properly contained or disposed of.

3. Can burning paper on an open fire be harmful to the environment?

Burning paper on an open fire can contribute to air pollution. The gases released during burning contain carbon dioxide, which is a greenhouse gas that contributes to climate change. Burning paper can also release small particles into the air, which can be harmful to human health.

4. How does the type of paper affect the production of red hot threads?

The type of paper can affect the production of red hot threads because different types of paper have different compositions and may contain different levels of chemicals, such as dyes and coatings. These chemicals can affect how the paper burns and the color and intensity of the red hot threads produced.

5. Can red hot threads from burning paper on open fires be used for any practical purposes?

In some cases, red hot threads produced from burning paper on open fires can be used for practical purposes, such as igniting other materials or signaling for help in emergency situations. However, it is important to use caution and proper safety measures when handling and using these threads.