Thermal conductivity of metals

In summary: So the wrap would have to be removed for the pipe to reach its maximum potential?So the wrap would have to be removed for the pipe to reach its maximum potential?Yes, the wrap would need to be removed in order for the heat transfer to occur as you said.
whereami
Hello,

Assume that we have a pipe flowing with air of around 80 degrees F surrounded by air of approximately 140 degrees F. The pipe can be made out of three materials: Aluminum, Mild-Steel, and Stainless Steel.

What material would it be best to use for the pipe in order for the air flowing through the pipe not to get heated as much (provided that wall thickness is the same)? In case I didn't make myself clear, http://www.ivdstudios.com/Misc/Turbo_pipe_question.png of what I am talking about.

For reference, thermal conductivity of aluminum is around 230 degrees. Thermal conductivity of mild-steel is around 50 degrees, and the thermal conductivity of stainless steel is around 15 degrees. I have no clue on how to interpret those numbers. :uhh: My confusion rises because, even though I think mild-steel won't heat up as fast, it will heat up more than aluminum over time overall and will thus pass more heat.

Thank you in advance for your input. :)

P.S. To those wondering, this question is in regards to the intercooler piping on a turbo'd car. I know it won't make a whole lot of difference, but this debate has been going on for way too long within the turbo community.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You want to minimize the thermal flux from the outside to the inside, and therefor you have to take the material with the highest thermal resistivity (the lowest thermal conductance). The thermal capacity won't matter, because this is a problem in steady state, so once everything is at its stationary temperature, it won't change anymore.
(the thermal capacitance might play a role for finite-duration tests, in which thermal steady state is not yet reached of course).

I don't understand the units of the thermal conductivity. Normally, it is specified in Watts / degree meter

meaning, if you have a difference in temperature of one degree over one meter, then there are so many watts of thermal power that flow per square meter of material where these conditions hold.

vanesch said:
You want to minimize the thermal flux from the outside to the inside, and therefor you have to take the material with the highest thermal resistivity (the lowest thermal conductance). The thermal capacity won't matter, because this is a problem in steady state, so once everything is at its stationary temperature, it won't change anymore.
(the thermal capacitance might play a role for finite-duration tests, in which thermal steady state is not yet reached of course).

I don't understand the units of the thermal conductivity. Normally, it is specified in Watts / degree meter

meaning, if you have a difference in temperature of one degree over one meter, then there are so many watts of thermal power that flow per square meter of material where these conditions hold.
You are absolutely right. The numbers are correct, but I've messed up on the units of measurement themselves.

Thank you very much for your answer. It was exactly what I was looking for.

EDIT: What if I would http://www.teegardenmotorsports.com/thermo.htm the stainless steel pipe. Would the pipe eventually reach the underhood temperatures (by convection) or would the heat wrap prevent it from reaching such a high temperature, given indefinite amount of time?

whereami said:
EDIT: What if I would http://www.teegardenmotorsports.com/thermo.htm the stainless steel pipe. Would the pipe eventually reach the underhood temperatures (by convection) or would the heat wrap prevent it from reaching such a high temperature, given indefinite amount of time?

The heat wrap certainly would significantly reduce the heat flow, I think you could say conduction would effectively be stopped. I don't think it would completely stop thermal transfer though, if you left the system running for long enough.

~H

So the pipe wouldn't get as hot (as it would without the heat wrap), no matter how much time it is exposed to the hot air for, if I understand correctly?

whereami said:
So the pipe wouldn't get as hot (as it would without the heat wrap), no matter how much time it is exposed to the hot air for, if I understand correctly?

Yes, that's correct, if they both (wrapped and un-wrapped) started at the same temperature and were exposed to the same conditions for the same time period, the un-wrapped one would always be the hottest. The important point to note here is that the heat transfer mechanics here is conduction not convection as you said.

~H

What is thermal conductivity?

Thermal conductivity is a measure of a material's ability to conduct heat. It is a physical property that describes how easily heat can transfer through a material.

What is the unit of thermal conductivity?

The unit of thermal conductivity is watts per meter-kelvin (W/m·K). This means that the amount of heat (in watts) that can transfer through a material with a thickness of 1 meter and a temperature difference of 1 kelvin (or 1 degree Celsius) is measured in watts per meter-kelvin.

How does thermal conductivity vary among different metals?

Thermal conductivity varies among different metals due to differences in their atomic structure and bonding. Generally, metals with stronger bonds and more densely packed atoms have higher thermal conductivity.

What factors affect the thermal conductivity of metals?

The thermal conductivity of metals can be affected by factors such as temperature, impurities, and crystal structure. Higher temperatures can increase thermal conductivity, while impurities and defects can decrease it. The crystal structure of a metal can also play a role, as metals with a more ordered and uniform structure tend to have higher thermal conductivity.

Why is thermal conductivity important for metals?

Thermal conductivity is an important property for metals because it can affect their performance in various applications. For example, metals with high thermal conductivity are often used in heat exchangers and other heat transfer systems. On the other hand, metals with low thermal conductivity may be preferred for insulating materials to prevent heat loss.