Need some problems (Goldstein)

• Thread starter dicerandom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Goldstein
In summary, the person is looking for help with homework and has some notes about the content. The person has a copy of the book and the problems that they need help with.
dicerandom
Hi All,

I'm hoping that someone will be kind enough to grab their copy of Goldstein's Classical Mechanics (3rd edition) and write out the text of problems 2.4, 2.6, and 2.9 for me.

I ordered the book online a month ago but half.com screwed up my order and I still haven't gotten the textbook :mad: I canceled my order there, got a refund, and ordered the book from a different site so it should be here by Tuesday. Unfortunately my assignment is due Monday and the library on campus only has the 2nd edition, where the problems are quite different :grumpy:

So yeah, any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The exercises are numerated different in my book, so I assumed it's chapter 2, and exercises 4, 6 and 9. So, here they go:

4. Show that the geodesics of a spherical surface are great circles, i.e., circles whose centers lie at the center of the sphere.

6. Find the Euler-Lagrange equation describing the brachistochrone curve for a particle moving inside a spherical Earth of uniform mass density. Obtain a first integral for this differential equation by analogy to the Jacobi integral h. With the help of this integral, show that the desired curve is a hypocycloid (the curve described by a point on a circle rolling on the inside of a larger circle). Obtain an expression for the time of travel along the brachistochrone between two points on Earth's surface. How long would it take to go from New York to Los Angeles (assumed to be 4800 km apart on the surface) along a brachistochrone tunnel (assuming no friction) and how far below the surface would the deepest point of the tunnel be?

9. A chain or rope of indefinite length passes freely over pulleys at heights y1 and y2 above the plane surface of Earth, with a horizontal distance x2 - x1 between them. If the chain or rope has a uniform linear mass density, show that the problem of finding the curve assumed between the pulleys is identical with that of the problem of minimum surface of revolution.

You're lucky I'm bored. :biggrin:

Judging from my notes and discussion in class those definitely look like the right problems.

Thanks a lot :biggrin:

1. What is "Need some problems (Goldstein)"?

"Need some problems (Goldstein)" refers to a book written by Herbert Goldstein, a renowned physicist and mathematician. It is a collection of physics problems and exercises that are commonly used in undergraduate and graduate level courses.

2. Who is the target audience for "Need some problems (Goldstein)"?

The target audience for "Need some problems (Goldstein)" is primarily students and teachers of physics, particularly those studying or teaching classical mechanics. It can also be a useful resource for anyone interested in challenging themselves with physics problems and exercises.

3. What makes "Need some problems (Goldstein)" a valuable resource?

"Need some problems (Goldstein)" is a valuable resource because it provides a wide range of physics problems and exercises that are designed to help students develop problem-solving skills and understanding of fundamental physics principles. These problems are carefully selected and many of them have been used in actual physics exams.

4. Is "Need some problems (Goldstein)" suitable for self-study?

Yes, "Need some problems (Goldstein)" is suitable for self-study. The book includes detailed solutions to all the problems, making it a great resource for self-guided learning and practice. Additionally, the problems are organized by topic and difficulty level, making it easy for individuals to choose the problems that best suit their needs.

5. Are there any similar resources to "Need some problems (Goldstein)"?

Yes, there are similar resources to "Need some problems (Goldstein)" such as "Solved Problems in Classical Mechanics" by David Morin and "Problems and Solutions in Introductory Mechanics" by David J. Morin. These books also provide a collection of physics problems and solutions for self-study and practice.